Re: [Czechlist] RE: Query

    Message 1 of 58 , Sep 4, 2000
      Michael Grant wrote:

      > I don't think you can compare the translating business to hotels.
      > When a translator charges different rates for western clients, he is
      > addressing a different market with different expectations, not just
      > discriminating against certain clients in the same market.

      We seem to defend our respective practices. Frankly, you haven't pursuaded
      me an inch. Such statements need some supportive arguments to go on. I can
      actually give one to (seemingly) support your claims; I've hinted on that in
      my revious posting: Someone can hire you cheap from within your own "cheap"
      territory to resell expensive, BUT to me, even this is logically more a
      support to my theory of uniform price policy for all clients at a given
      time. I admit that it means to work for "one" market only, but I wouldn't
      distinguish geographical markets, only price-level markets. Also, I think I
      *can* compare a hotel charging two different prices for the same service to
      different people with a translator charging at different rates to different
      clients. You may practically not feel it just because you never do exactly
      the same work for two different customers, but I believe you should try to
      look at business as customer.

      Jirka Bolech
    • JPKIRCHNER@aol.com
      Message 58 of 58 , Sep 9, 2000
        In a message dated 9/9/00 2:29:03 PM, kzgafas@... writes:

        >Jak byste pracovali (sklonovali) v ceskem textu se slovem Broadway? Napr.
        >muzikaly na Broadway?

        That kind of problem is easily evaded in Czech by preceding Broadway with
        something like "divadelni ctvrt", then you don't have to decline "Broadway".
        Czechs do that all the time. That's even how Czechs escape declining numbers
        in their own language ("v roce 1874" instead of "v 1874"). Anyway, nebylo by
        slovo "Broadway" sklonovano podle vzoru "stroj"?