next of kin

  • Slavomir BELIS
    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 31, 2004
      Hi listmates,

      I would like to ask you to help me with the following translation to Czech or Slovak.

      If the death occurs in hospital, the hospital staff will contact the person named by the deceased as next of kin. This may be, but need not be, a relative.
      Ak k umrtiu dojde v nemocnici, jej personal sa skontaktuje s osobou, ktoru zosnula osoba uviedla ako najblizsieho... ???. To moze, ale nemusi, byt pribuzny.

      I thought "NEXT of KIN" was "najblizsi pribuzny", which is not obviously. How do I translate it then?

      Thanks in advance for your help.

      Slavomir

    • Terminus Technicus
      Message 2 of 16 , Mar 31, 2004
        I think it's a nice way of considering a partner one's not married to....

        Matej

        > I would like to ask you to help me with the following translation to Czech
        or Slovak.

        > If the death occurs in hospital, the hospital staff will contact the
        person named by the deceased as next of kin. This may be, but need not be, a
        relative.
        > Ak k umrtiu dojde v nemocnici, jej personal sa skontaktuje s osobou, ktoru
        zosnula osoba uviedla ako najblizsieho... ???. To moze, ale nemusi, byt
        pribuzny.

        > I thought "NEXT of KIN" was "najblizsi pribuzny", which is not obviously.
        How do I translate it then?

        > Thanks in advance for your help.
        >
        > Slavomir

        > Czechlist Users' Guide:
        >
        > http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Forum/7953/newfaq.html
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • jsyeaton
        Message 3 of 16 , Mar 31, 2004
          How about just translating it as "person to be contacted in case of emergency?" You're right about the literal translation, but the usage has been extended.

          Hospitals routinely do not allow a same-sex partners the same rights here as different-sex partners: this is one of the reasons there's all the noise about allowing gays to marry in the States - this is one of the rights they want to gain. Apparently they can not be designated "next of kin," although it may only be in cases where there is a family member who can claim the status - a parent or child.

          From the web: http://www.consumer.org.nz/topic.asp?category=Legal%20Rights&subcategory=Family&docid=245&topic=Next%20of%20kin&title=Your%20questions%20answered&contenttype=summary -

          "There is no legal definition of the expression "next of kin". Nevertheless, the term is widely used. Although most married people would regard their spouse as their next of kin, the dictionary meaning is usually your nearest "blood" (genetic) relative. So, rather than a spouse, your next of kin would be your parents, children or siblings.

          But in practice the term can have a very wide meaning. If you check into a hospital you may be asked to fill out a form asking you to nominate your next of kin. This is really the person you would like the hospital to contact if required and may not be your nearest blood relative at all."

          Judy

        • JPKIRCHNER@aol.com
          Message 4 of 16 , Mar 31, 2004
            In a message dated 3/31/2004 12:00:57 PM Eastern Standard Time, czechlist@... writes:

            > I think it's a nice way of considering a partner one's not married to....

            Absolutely, completely, 100% dangerously wrong!

            "Kin" is a very common word for relative. "Next of kin" means your nearest relative. In the hospital the implication is that they need the name and contact information for the person who is to make decisions for you if you cannot make them yourself, or the person to contact if you die.

            I list my older sister as my next of kin, even though I have two other siblings. She's the one I would trust with life-and-death decisions or to make my funeral arrangements if I should die. If I did not trust any of my siblings, I would list my best friend. The hospital and the courts know that my best friend is not my next of kin (nejblizsy pribuzny), but they know that some people just don't have a close relative to list.

            But it does literally mean nejblizsi pribuzny.

            Jamie
          • Slavomir BELIS
            Message 5 of 16 , Mar 31, 2004
              Jamie and Judy, thanks for your valuable feedback.

              Slavomir

              http://www.consumer.org.nz/topic.asp?category=Legal%20Rights&subcategory=Family&docid=245&topic=Next%20of%20kin&title=Your%20questions%20answered&contenttype=summary -

              Message 6 of 16 , Mar 31, 2004
                Based on what Jamie says, I would go for something like, '...kterou zesnuly
                uvedl jako svou nejblizsi osobu...' which is ambiguous enough to cover 'em
                all.

                hth

                > I would like to ask you to help me with the following translation to Czech
                or Slovak.

                > If the death occurs in hospital, the hospital staff will contact the
                person named by the deceased as next of kin. This may be, but need not be, a
                relative.
                > Ak k umrtiu dojde v nemocnici, jej personal sa skontaktuje s osobou, ktoru
                zosnula osoba uviedla ako najblizsieho... ???. To moze, ale nemusi, byt
                pribuzny.

                > I thought "NEXT of KIN" was "najblizsi pribuzny", which is not obviously.
                How do I translate it then?

                > Thanks in advance for your help.
                >
                > Slavomir

                > Czechlist Users' Guide:
                >
                > http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Forum/7953/newfaq.html
                >

                > Yahoo! Groups Links

              • Jana
                Message 7 of 16 , Mar 31, 2004
                  Hi Slavo,

                  I did the similar translation and in this context I translated it a
                  bit more freely as "kontaktna osoba".

                  Jana
                • Terminus Technicus
                  Message 8 of 16 , Apr 1, 2004
                    > In a message dated 3/31/2004 12:00:57 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                    czechlist@... writes:

                    > > I think it's a nice way of considering a partner one's not married
                    to....

                    > Absolutely, completely, 100% dangerously wrong!
                    >
                    > "Kin" is a very common word for relative. "Next of kin" means your
                    nearest relative.

                    Yeah, I know that, but why are they saying that person does not have to be a
                    relative... my wife doesn't get on with her family and before we got
                    married, or if we didn't get married, I'm sure she'd prefer me to come to
                    the hospital instead of her "relatives"... I think the sentence was trying
                    to accomodate for that, even if it used the wrong word (kin) - possibly
                    because somebody was sensible and saw that a partner can be your "closest
                    person" without you being married to them - it was just a thought, but I
                    don't see any other way to explain the conflict between the two sentences...

                    Message 9 of 16 , Apr 1, 2004
                      On Thursday, April 1, 2004, at 03:03 AM, Terminus Technicus wrote:

                      > > In a message dated 3/31/2004 12:00:57 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                      > czechlist@... writes:
                      > >
                      > > > I think it's a nice way of considering a partner one's not married
                      > to....
                      > >
                      > > Absolutely, completely, 100% dangerously wrong!
                      > >
                      > > "Kin" is a very common word for relative.  "Next of kin" means your
                      > nearest relative.
                      >

                      > Yeah, I know that, but why are they saying that person does not have
                      > to be a
                      > relative... my wife doesn't get on with her family and before we got
                      > married, or if we didn't get married, I'm sure she'd prefer me to come
                      > the hospital instead of her "relatives"... I think the sentence was
                      > trying
                      > to accomodate for that, even if it used the wrong word (kin) - possibly
                      > because somebody was sensible and saw that a partner can be your
                      > "closest
                      > person" without you being married to them - it was just a thought, but
                      > don't see any other way to explain the conflict between the two
                      > sentences...

                      The way to explain the conflict is that traditionally the real next of
                      kin was the person to be contacted in case of emergency or death. In
                      the vast majority of cases it still is. The forms still use the same
                      term even now -- out of tradition, and it still means the same thing --
                      but the hospitals are simply reasonable and know that the person to be
                      contacted or whose name will be filled in might not be a relative. It
                      is not put there as a euphemism for a partner one lives with without
                      benefit of marriage. In less traditional forms this person is
                      indicated as "person to be contacted in case of emergency" and then
                      they ask "relationship to patient" in the next line.

                    • Helena Subrtova
                      Message 10 of 16 , Apr 1, 2004
                        Marta Chroma (from the Law Faculty, English dept.) told us that

                        next of kin = nejblizsi osoba
                        (with hacek above z,s in nejblizsi, and carka above the final vowel in
                        nejblizsi)

                        H.

                        Message 11 of 16 , Apr 1, 2004
                          The forms still use the same
                          term even now -- out of tradition, and it still means the same thing --
                          but the hospitals are simply reasonable and know that the person to be
                          contacted or whose name will be filled in might not be a relative.

                          That's exactly what I meant by my original post, but didn't have time to go
                          two pages about it:)

                          matej
                          Message 12 of 16 , Apr 1, 2004
                            On Thursday, April 1, 2004, at 06:16 AM, Helena Subrtova wrote:

                            > Marta Chroma (from the Law Faculty, English dept.) told us that
                            >
                            > next of kin = nejblizsi osoba
                            > (with hacek above z,s in nejblizsi, and carka above the final vowel in
                            > nejblizsi)

                            This may be the way the line on a form should be translated from
                            English into Czech, but "kin" means "pribuzny" and "next of kin"
                            literally means "nejblizsi pribuzny". The word "kin" does not simply
                            mean "osoba".

                            Now, whether or not "nejblizsi pribuzny" would sound odd on a Czech
                            form is not for me to judge.

                            Message 13 of 16 , Apr 1, 2004
                              On Thursday, April 1, 2004, at 06:23 AM, Terminus Technicus wrote:

                              > The forms still use the same
                              > term even now -- out of tradition, and it still means the same thing --
                              > but the hospitals are simply reasonable and know that the person to be
                              > contacted or whose name will be filled in might not be a relative.
                              >

                              > That's exactly what I meant by my original post, but didn't have time
                              > to go
                              > two pages about it:)

                            • Papoušek Dušan
                              Message 14 of 16 , Apr 1, 2004
                                Ja bych to prelozil jako "...kterou zesnula osoba uvedla jako osobu ji
                                nejblizsi."

                                D. P.

                                Message 15 of 16 , Apr 1, 2004
                                  > Then we agree, but it's not what you really said. :-)

                                  I thought it was... :), but to someone who likes to argue like you do :), it
                                  wasn't specific enough, I agree :)

                                  :) Matej
                                • Rubkova
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Apr 1, 2004
                                    Our legislation says that such person has to be real next of kin... Not
                                    anybody else

                                    Sarka