Re: Technical terms, belated thanks to Judy

  • Papoušek Dušan
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 31 12:25 AM
      Thanks, Judy, "transfer bar" sounds well, especially in the context
      indicated below. I am really grateful. Due to my health problem, I could not
      respond immediately but I will use your advice. The "rozradovaci tyc"
      problem is still there but I described in my translation in detail what is
      this thing doing, so hopefully it will be accepted - so far the client did
      not protest.

      D. P.

      From: "jsyeaton" <jsyeaton@...>
      Subject: Re: Help neede - technical terms, urgent

      Taktovaci tyc - transfer bar, from your description of what it does.

      "The machining system has a separate, dedicated station for each operation,=
      ensuring high repeatability and thus high quality parts. The stations are
      =
      grouped together into machines with 10 or so stations per machine and
      buffe=
      rs between machines. A *transfer bar* moves the parts synchronously
      between=
      stations on a machine."

      The --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, Papou1ek Du1an <Papousek@m...> wrote:=

      > Last week, I was asked to translate into English a manual on the operatio=
      > of an automatic machining line (soft and raw drill of cylinder liners). N=
      ot
      > easy, full of special terms, dictionaries almost useless, Google did not
      > help for reasons too complicated to be discussed here. I think I succeded=
      > overcome most of the pitfalls except two:
      >
      > 1. "Rezim taktovaci tyce". Context: "pri stisknuti "taktovaci tyc vpred",=
      je
      > taktovaci tyc uvedena do chodu spolu se vsemi soucastkami smerem vpred".
      > When I asked the engineer who obviously designed the line to explain me w=
      hat
      > is the function of this thing, I became almost furious - the man was usin=
      > terms like "ale to je prece jasne, co to dela" almost in every sentence
      > without really telling me what should be so obvious to the nuts like me. =
      > understood that it is something periodical what the line is supposed to d=
      o,
      > i.e. take piece after piece and do the same operation on it and after thi=
      > cycle is finished, shift the whole staff by one cycle forward. In the end=
      , I
      > finished with "shifting rod" and sent it off to the client (the tranlatio=
      > will be used in China), but of course, I am not sure about it. It is this=

      > damned "takt" term that is used in terms like "dvoutaktni motor, ctyrtakt=
      ni
      > motor" and translated as "two-stroke engine, etc". However, it does not s=
      eem
      > to be appropriate here.
      >
      > 2. "Ror^ayovaci tyc^". Context: : ...vede k vysunuti prave rozrazovaci ty=
      ce
      > a k otevreni oddelovaci zarazky.." Again, a periodical process typical fo=
      > automatic machining lines repeating the same operation for every piece. I=

      > used "detaching rod" but the same story - I have no idea whether it's
      > correct.
      >
      > My problem was that I had a health problem during the translation (irrita=
      ded
      > eyes) and was afraid that if I do not sent it off right now, then I will
      > miss the deadline completely.
    • jsyeaton
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 31 4:45 AM
        Hi Dusan,

        You're more than welcome. The terminology research is my favorite
        part of translating. That part is like a game; the actual
        translating is more like drudgery, especially since I'm always
        afraid of skipping somthing. (I'm going to try Wordfast again - it
        should help with this problem - and it has pretty colors.)

        BTW, was that a "rozrazovaci" or a "rozradovaci" tyc?

        Judy

        --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, Papou¹ek Du¹an <Papousek@m...>