RE: [Czechlist] Digest Number 1741

  • Michal Ginter
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 29, 2004
      "Damages" is a claim/compensation for sustained "damage." In this case, I'm
      almost certain they're talking about damages (claims) rather than damage.
      Also, be careful with "nahrada skody" and "odskodneni." The first is
      "(compensatory) damages" while the second is "punitive damages."
      Cheers,
      Michal

      Message: 15
      Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 00:32:02 +0200
      From: Helena Subrtova <HSubrtova@...>
      Subject: legalese ?damages or damage

      I am not sure whether the word "damages" in the following sentence means
      1)compensation for the damage (nahrada skody), or 2) loss (skoda, ujma).
      I think its 1) but I am confused with the adjectives such as "direct,
      indirect, incidental, special, consequential, punitive" because some of
      them are used mainly with damage (skoda).

      What would you suggest how to translate the following types of damages
      in the following sentence:

      Neither X, electronic products, X, or anyone else involved in creating,
      producing or delivering the electronic products or the material
      contained in X, shall be reliable for any direct, indirect, incidental,
      special , consequential or punitive damages arising out of the
      authorised user's use of or inabilitz to use Y, the electronic products
      and all materials contained therein.

      (The text is in American English; it is taken from a licence agreement.)

      Thank you for your suggestions.
      Predem dekuji.

      Helena