[Czechlist] RE: Query

  • Michael Grant
    Message 1 of 58 , Sep 2, 2000
      >You are right when speaking about translator-to-agency market in the Czech
      >Republic. However, when working for European or US based agencies I charge
      >0.12 USD (and sometimes more) and my rates are accepted and I get paid.
      >
      >IMHO it is necessary to distinguish Czech and international market when
      >making quotations. ASAP I get RFQ stating I should quote "competitive" rates
      >I usually don't reply. This frequently means request for underbidding some
      >of my colleagues and I don't think I a have to do this.

      Absolutely. The question was specifically about the Czech market, as
      was my response. As I said earlier, I'd have trouble taking someone
      seriously who charged me, a US-based client, 4 cents per word, and I
      doubt I'd be willing to send work to them.

      >It would be also interesting to hear you opinion about what level of rates
      >can be achieved on the US market.

      I know of at least one agency owner who claims to get away with 8
      cents per word, but for US-based translators 10-15 cents is more
      realistic. Being based in the CzR, you will probably not be able to
      achieve that high a rate consistently--but you can certainly do a lot
      better than 4!

      Michael

      Tel. (+1-512) 336-8911, Fax (+1-512) 336-8954
    • JPKIRCHNER@aol.com
      Message 58 of 58 , Sep 9, 2000
        In a message dated 9/9/00 2:29:03 PM, kzgafas@... writes:

        >Jak byste pracovali (sklonovali) v ceskem textu se slovem Broadway? Napr.
        >muzikaly na Broadway?

        That kind of problem is easily evaded in Czech by preceding Broadway with
        something like "divadelni ctvrt", then you don't have to decline "Broadway".
        Czechs do that all the time. That's even how Czechs escape declining numbers
        in their own language ("v roce 1874" instead of "v 1874"). Anyway, nebylo by
        slovo "Broadway" sklonovano podle vzoru "stroj"?