Re: [Czechlist] RE: Query

  • JPKIRCHNER@aol.com
    Message 1 of 58 , Sep 2 5:50 AM
      In a message dated 9/2/00 8:44:14 AM, kzgafas@... writes:

      >I think this does not have to be caused
      >neccessarily just by the CZ translators, but mainly by local agencies trying
      >to compete for US and UK jobs by offering extremely low rates.

      Then why does this downward rate pressure not seem to be affecting German or
      French, or other more common languages. It's clear that this is caused by
      the low rates in the CR, because agencies have actually waved the Czech rates
      in my face when they didn't like my standard.

      And some agencies or clients don't seem to care if they get Czenglish or not,
      as long as it's cheap, although this type of sloppy quality control usually
      occurs more when the target language is something other than English.

      Jamie
    • JPKIRCHNER@aol.com
      Message 58 of 58 , Sep 9 3:04 PM
        In a message dated 9/9/00 2:29:03 PM, kzgafas@... writes:

        >Jak byste pracovali (sklonovali) v ceskem textu se slovem Broadway? Napr.
        >muzikaly na Broadway?

        That kind of problem is easily evaded in Czech by preceding Broadway with
        something like "divadelni ctvrt", then you don't have to decline "Broadway".
        Czechs do that all the time. That's even how Czechs escape declining numbers
        in their own language ("v roce 1874" instead of "v 1874"). Anyway, nebylo by
        slovo "Broadway" sklonovano podle vzoru "stroj"?