Re: [Czechlist] RE: Query

  • Kostas Zgafas
    Message 1 of 58 , Sep 2, 2000
      > My experience (and I am a terrible negotiator) is that the US per-word
      rate
      > is depressed by a couple of cents by the existence of translators in the
      CR
      > who will work for one-third the US rate.

      > Jamie

      Yes, I have heard from my friends residing in the USA that they feel this
      influence on their rates. I think this does not have to be caused
      neccessarily just by the CZ translators, but mainly by local agencies trying
      to compete for US and UK jobs by offering extremely low rates. On the other
      hand, I have a feeling that US and UK agencies are quite interested in
      offers like these.

      Kostas
    • JPKIRCHNER@aol.com
      Message 58 of 58 , Sep 9, 2000
        In a message dated 9/9/00 2:29:03 PM, kzgafas@... writes:

        >Jak byste pracovali (sklonovali) v ceskem textu se slovem Broadway? Napr.
        >muzikaly na Broadway?

        That kind of problem is easily evaded in Czech by preceding Broadway with
        something like "divadelni ctvrt", then you don't have to decline "Broadway".
        Czechs do that all the time. That's even how Czechs escape declining numbers
        in their own language ("v roce 1874" instead of "v 1874"). Anyway, nebylo by
        slovo "Broadway" sklonovano podle vzoru "stroj"?