Re: [Czechlist] RE: Query

  • JPKIRCHNER@aol.com
    Message 1 of 58 , Sep 2, 2000
      In a message dated 9/2/00 1:06:30 AM, pacholik@... writes:

      >It would be also interesting to hear you opinion about what level of rates
      >can be achieved on the US market.

      My experience (and I am a terrible negotiator) is that the US per-word rate
      is depressed by a couple of cents by the existence of translators in the CR
      who will work for one-third the US rate. For example, advertising agencies I
      worked for here in the States never paid an agency less than about $0.25 per
      word for Spanish, French or German -- with the translator's cut being a
      standard $0.15 a word -- while, for Czech, translation services here
      routinely try to drive me down to as low as $0.11 per word, which I won't
      accept. This is despite the fact that the people at my state translator's
      association claim I should be able to charge HIGHER than the normal rate for
      an esoteric language like Czech.

      This is just my own perception, though. I'd like to hear what others think.

      Jamie
    • JPKIRCHNER@aol.com
      Message 58 of 58 , Sep 9, 2000
        In a message dated 9/9/00 2:29:03 PM, kzgafas@... writes:

        >Jak byste pracovali (sklonovali) v ceskem textu se slovem Broadway? Napr.
        >muzikaly na Broadway?

        That kind of problem is easily evaded in Czech by preceding Broadway with
        something like "divadelni ctvrt", then you don't have to decline "Broadway".
        Czechs do that all the time. That's even how Czechs escape declining numbers
        in their own language ("v roce 1874" instead of "v 1874"). Anyway, nebylo by
        slovo "Broadway" sklonovano podle vzoru "stroj"?