RE: Query

  • Otto Pacholik
    Message 1 of 58 , Sep 1, 2000
      > Well, I haven't been in the Czech Republic for three years now, but
      > $0.04 per word comes to roughly Kc 400 per normostrana (or a little
      > more), which would have been high as an agency-to-client rate and
      > completely out of range as a translator-to-agency rate when I was
      > there.

      You are right when speaking about translator-to-agency market in the Czech
      Republic. However, when working for European or US based agencies I charge
      0.12 USD (and sometimes more) and my rates are accepted and I get paid.

      IMHO it is necessary to distinguish Czech and international market when
      making quotations. ASAP I get RFQ stating I should quote "competitive" rates
      I usually don't reply. This frequently means request for underbidding some
      of my colleagues and I don't think I a have to do this.

      Concerning the minimum recommended JTP rates I only can repeat what I
      already wrote a couple of month ago. You may think whatever you wish about
      these rates. But without these rates lot of us would be still happy with
      some 80-100 CZK/standard page. The more you try to achieve the JTP rates the
      better for all of us. The Internet helps us to get rid of regional
      constraints as we can all work virtually everywhere in the world.

      Michael,

      It would be also interesting to hear you opinion about what level of rates
      can be achieved on the US market.

      Nice weekend to all!

      Otto
    • JPKIRCHNER@aol.com
      Message 58 of 58 , Sep 9, 2000
        In a message dated 9/9/00 2:29:03 PM, kzgafas@... writes:

        >Jak byste pracovali (sklonovali) v ceskem textu se slovem Broadway? Napr.
        >muzikaly na Broadway?

        That kind of problem is easily evaded in Czech by preceding Broadway with
        something like "divadelni ctvrt", then you don't have to decline "Broadway".
        Czechs do that all the time. That's even how Czechs escape declining numbers
        in their own language ("v roce 1874" instead of "v 1874"). Anyway, nebylo by
        slovo "Broadway" sklonovano podle vzoru "stroj"?