Re: [Czechlist] restricted competetion

  • Michael Grant
    Message 1 of 27 , Sep 1, 2000
      >A couple years ago there was a massive corporate litigation job that
      >was too big for one agency to handle, and there simply seemed not to
      >be enough competent Cz=>Eng translators in the world to handle it.
      >Literally EVERYONE I KNEW who was literate in both languages had
      >worked on it at one time or another. More than one agency seemed to
      >be trying to attract the same translators over to their side to work
      >on the job, and these fidelity contracts had to be introduced.
      >That's the only such contract I've ever had.

      I remember it well. I got in on it pretty late because it started
      around the time I was leaving Prague for the US, but it still brought
      in several thousand dollars' worth of work. Must have pretty much
      made the whole year for the folks who started earlier.
      But I don't think I'd ever agree to work for only one agency--too
      much like being an employee. I don't think I'd agree not to work for
      the same end client for different agencies either, since I'd hate to
      be cut off if the agency does something to screw up their
      relationship with the client.

      Michael

      Tel. (+1-512) 336-8911, Fax (+1-512) 336-8954
      Message 2 of 27 , Sep 1, 2000
        Michael Grant wrote:

        > Two years is about the maximum I'd accept. Remember, that's two years
        > after you stop working for that agency.

        I wonder if more views will be posted.

        Jirka Bolech
      • JPKIRCHNER@aol.com
        Message 3 of 27 , Sep 1, 2000
          In a message dated 9/1/00 3:28:47 PM, mgrant@... writes:

          >I don't think I'd agree not to work for
          >the same end client for different agencies either, since I'd hate to
          >be cut off if the agency does something to screw up their
          >relationship with the client.

          Well, to me, if the agency messes up and loses the client, then that should
          mean out of the exclusivity agreement.

          Jamie
        • Michael Grant
          Message 4 of 27 , Sep 1, 2000
            >Well, to me, if the agency messes up and loses the client, then that should
            >mean out of the exclusivity agreement.

            Maybe it should. The thing is, you usually never know when you've
            "lost" a client, you just don't hear from them again.

            Message 5 of 27 , Sep 2, 2000
              In a message dated 9/2/00 9:18:17 AM, mgrant@... writes:

              >>Well, to me, if the agency messes up and loses the client, then that should
              >>mean out of the exclusivity agreement.
              >
              >Maybe it should. The thing is, you usually never know when you've
              >"lost" a client, you just don't hear from them again.

              But on a very long project that some people may have cleared time for, some
              agencies will tell you that they have lost the project to someone else. This
              has happened to me before.