Re: [Czechlist] restricted competetion

  • Michael Grant
    Message 1 of 27 , Sep 1, 2000
      > > Make sure the clause has a
      > > reasonable time limit,...
      >
      >That's one of the points I wanted to get clarified: what is a _reasonable_
      >time limit for such an arrangement in your views?

      Two years is about the maximum I'd accept. Remember, that's two years
      after you stop working for that agency.

      Michael

      Tel. (+1-512) 336-8911, Fax (+1-512) 336-8954
    • Michael Grant
      Message 2 of 27 , Sep 1, 2000
        >I think it should
        >also be limited to THAT project and THAT client. For example, a contract for
        >a Ford job should not prevent you from doing GM and Chrysler work from
        >another agency.

        That's an interesting point. I've always understood those clauses to
        refer to direct assignments from the end client, not assignments from
        another agency that happen to be for the same end client. After all,
        your agreement is with the agency in each case, not with Ford. I
        can't recall that any of the contracts I've seen would prohibit you
        from doing a Ford job for another agency (and certainly not GM or
        Chrysler jobs), but maybe I've misunderstood their intent all along.

      • JPKIRCHNER@aol.com
        Message 3 of 27 , Sep 1, 2000
          >>I think it should
          >>also be limited to THAT project and THAT client. For example, a contract for
          >>a Ford job should not prevent you from doing GM and Chrysler work from
          >>another agency.

          >That's an interesting point. I've always understood >those clauses to
          >refer to direct assignments from the end client, not assignments from
          >another agency that happen to be for the same end client. After all,
          >your agreement is with the agency in each case, not with Ford. I
          >can't recall that any of the contracts I've seen would prohibit you
          >from doing a Ford job for another agency (and certainly not GM or
          >Chrysler jobs), but maybe I've misunderstood their intent all along.

          A couple years ago there was a massive corporate litigation job that was too big for one agency to handle, and there simply seemed not to be enough competent Cz=>Eng translators in the world to handle it. Literally EVERYONE I KNEW who was literate in both languages had worked on it at one time or another. More than one agency seemed to be trying to attract the same translators over to their side to work on the job, and these fidelity contracts had to be introduced. That's the only such contract I've ever had.

          Jamie
        • Michael Grant
          Message 4 of 27 , Sep 1, 2000
            >A couple years ago there was a massive corporate litigation job that
            >was too big for one agency to handle, and there simply seemed not to
            >be enough competent Cz=>Eng translators in the world to handle it.
            >Literally EVERYONE I KNEW who was literate in both languages had
            >worked on it at one time or another. More than one agency seemed to
            >be trying to attract the same translators over to their side to work
            >on the job, and these fidelity contracts had to be introduced.
            >That's the only such contract I've ever had.

            I remember it well. I got in on it pretty late because it started
            around the time I was leaving Prague for the US, but it still brought
            in several thousand dollars' worth of work. Must have pretty much
            made the whole year for the folks who started earlier.
            But I don't think I'd ever agree to work for only one agency--too
            much like being an employee. I don't think I'd agree not to work for
            the same end client for different agencies either, since I'd hate to
            be cut off if the agency does something to screw up their
            relationship with the client.

            Message 5 of 27 , Sep 1, 2000
              Michael Grant wrote:

              > Two years is about the maximum I'd accept. Remember, that's two years
              > after you stop working for that agency.

              I wonder if more views will be posted.

              Jirka Bolech
            • JPKIRCHNER@aol.com
              Message 6 of 27 , Sep 1, 2000
                In a message dated 9/1/00 3:28:47 PM, mgrant@... writes:

                >I don't think I'd agree not to work for
                >the same end client for different agencies either, since I'd hate to
                >be cut off if the agency does something to screw up their
                >relationship with the client.

                Well, to me, if the agency messes up and loses the client, then that should
                mean out of the exclusivity agreement.

                Jamie
              • Michael Grant
                Message 7 of 27 , Sep 1, 2000
                  >Well, to me, if the agency messes up and loses the client, then that should
                  >mean out of the exclusivity agreement.

                  Maybe it should. The thing is, you usually never know when you've
                  "lost" a client, you just don't hear from them again.

                  Message 8 of 27 , Sep 2, 2000
                    In a message dated 9/2/00 9:18:17 AM, mgrant@... writes:

                    >>Well, to me, if the agency messes up and loses the client, then that should
                    >>mean out of the exclusivity agreement.
                    >
                    >Maybe it should. The thing is, you usually never know when you've
                    >"lost" a client, you just don't hear from them again.

                    But on a very long project that some people may have cleared time for, some
                    agencies will tell you that they have lost the project to someone else. This
                    has happened to me before.