Re: [Czechlist] RE: Query

    Message 1 of 58 , Sep 1, 2000
      Michael Grant wrote:

      > Personally, I wouldn't take someone quoting a rate that low very
      > seriously and would probably not offer work to them--I'd be afraid
      > they wouldn't be able to perform to the standards my clients expect.

      As I say, prices are a bottomless topic. Now, do you consider $ 0.04 a word
      a high or low [basic - excluding all sorts of surcharges] rate for _the
      Czech Republic's market_? I know that there will be some non-specific
      remarks about "doporucene ceny" by "Jednota Tlumocniku a Prekladatelu"
      (maybe not after my writing this), and I know this differs region to region,
      translator to translator, but I'd quite like a general conclusion to be made
      on this.

      Jirka Bolech
    • JPKIRCHNER@aol.com
      Message 58 of 58 , Sep 9, 2000
        In a message dated 9/9/00 2:29:03 PM, kzgafas@... writes:

        >Jak byste pracovali (sklonovali) v ceskem textu se slovem Broadway? Napr.
        >muzikaly na Broadway?

        That kind of problem is easily evaded in Czech by preceding Broadway with
        something like "divadelni ctvrt", then you don't have to decline "Broadway".
        Czechs do that all the time. That's even how Czechs escape declining numbers
        in their own language ("v roce 1874" instead of "v 1874"). Anyway, nebylo by
        slovo "Broadway" sklonovano podle vzoru "stroj"?