Re: CHAT: Magister Kelley

    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 5, 2004
      --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "coilinoc" <coilinoc@y...> wrote:
      > Hi there folks,
      > I don't suppose you know anything detailed about this guy? By all
      > accounts he was Irish, and I was just wondering if any of you know
      > about any sources of further info on him.

      There's a good description of his exploits in 'Prague in Black and Gold' by Peter Demetz, which should still be available in the bookshops.

      > With St. Patrick's Day around the corner, I'm trying to get a piece
      > together on Irishmen in Czech history so if any of you have heard of any other significant Paddies here down through the years, I'd be
      > grateful if you could give me a heads up.

      This might be a good source of inspiration:

      http://www.irishineurope.com/bibliography/empire_archives.html

      I hear that Wallenstein was bumped off by his Irish (and Scottish) mercenary associates, who were rewarded for their perfidy with large estates in Bohemia and Moravia and were joined by other Irish mercenaries who also settled here. Hence family names like Taaffe, Buttler and Deveroux can be found in Czech chronicles in subsequent centuries. My historian friend Marek (whom you met some time ago) once showed me an article on them.

      HTH