Re: [Czechlist] LAST NAMES

  • Renata Korpak
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 4, 2004
      I am opposed to adding "-ova" to foreign female last names in Czech
      in general, but many Czech speakers seem to have an issue with
      that... I think, though, that the same people would be upset about
      Czech female last names being stripped of "-ova" in foreign languages

      I wouldn't agree, as the -ova ending is very practical in Czech for
      grammatical reasons. Poles have done away with "femalising" job descriptions
      and names, and some of their sentences have to be extended or are unclear
      because of it (> it looks like the paragraph is about a male, until a female
      verb ending pops up and you have to re-read it). I find it strange being
      called "pani doktorka Korpak" in Czech (pls note the Czech title mania!), on
      the other hand I insist on being called "pani Korpak" in Polish and "Renata
      Korpak" in English, where Korpakova sounds clumsy, especially that the "o"
      is pronounced as "ou" and adds an awful mouthful to the name. But in Czech,
      declining a name with the -ova, foreign or not, makes clear sense. Viz: "S
      timhle zajdu za Crab/Cerny/Navratil" oproti "...za
      Crabovou/Cernou/Navratilovou" .

      Renata Korpak
      Member of the Institute of Linguists
      and of the Institute of Translations and Interpreting
      48 Upper North Street, Brighton BN1 3FHTel./fax 01273 772 001
      Mobile 07703 627 279
      Polish up your business with Central Europe -
      Czech me out at www.korpak.nildram.co.uk!