Re: [Czechlist] What does "should" actually mean??????

  • Terminus Technicus
    Message 1 of 18 , Mar 2, 2004
      Ahoj Helgo,

      Don't think we're that desperate... in contracts, if the author wants to say
      "someone must do something", they usually say "someone shall do
      something"... haven't seen many contracts with "should" in them. In notices
      and instructions, you'll probably be able to judge what they meant by the
      meaning/context of the sentence...

      In the bus driver example you gave, I think it's safe to assume it means
      MUST, or at least it SHOULD mean must :), otherwise the sentence would not
      have to be written in the first place... common sense, context and instinct
      should be enough to carry you trhough most problems... but I've got a
      feeling that your question/discussion comes from a German-speaking group and
      the frustration comes from the German (and Austrian) looooove for
      "ordnung" - n'est ce pas?

      Matej

      Message 2 of 18 , Mar 2, 2004
        Tim bych si nebyl tak jist. Existuji predpisy stanovici, od ktereho
        veku se smi ridit jake vozidlo (maly motocykl, normalni motocykl,
        automobil ...). Umim si predstavit vnitropodnikovy predpis o
        vysokozdviznem voziku, kde se zakazuje osobam mladsim 16 let vozidlo
        obsluhovat.
        Petr A.

      • JPKIRCHNER@aol.com
        Message 3 of 18 , Mar 2, 2004
          You can use various expressions instead of "must".

          For example:

          "Protective clothing is required when handling..."
          "Wear protective clothing when handling..."
          "It is necessary to wear protective clothing when..."

          "Do not allow anyone under 16 to operate this vehicle."
          "This vehicle is to be driven by people 16 and over."

          One of the problems here is that we don't have a word for "nesmí". Czechs
          say the English word for it is "mustn't", but that is hardly ever used in
          America and it sounds humorous to us. The only close replacement, if you want to
          use a modal, is "shouldn't".

          I don't know how US courts have interpreted "should". For all I know they
          may have interpreted it as equivalent to "must" in some cases. Or else it's
          possible that some courts interpret it one way, and others interpret it
          another. Besides, in a country where you can be sued for "excessive eye contact",
          "insufficient eye contact", or even for saying, "Excuse me, ladies," there is
          no way to completely eliminate your exposure to lawsuits.

          If something is imperative, use "must" or some other expression that shows it
          is imperative. If it's only a recommendation, use "should". Better to be
          safe than sorry.

        • JPKIRCHNER@aol.com
          Message 4 of 18 , Mar 2, 2004
            In the example about driving, in the United States when a manual says, "This
            vehicle should be driven by people over 16," it is equivalent to saying, "This
            vehicle must be operated by licensed drivers." Sixteen is the age when most
            Americans get their driver's license, unless they have not taken a driver's
            training course, in which case the age is usually 18.

            So, when Americans say, "No one under 16 should operate this," it's generally
            an unconscious euphemism for, "Only licensed drivers should operate this."

            Message 5 of 18 , Mar 2, 2004
              Jamie wrote:

              > One of the problems here is that we don't have a word for "nesmí".
              Czechs
              say the English word for it is "mustn't", but that is hardly ever used in
              America and it sounds humorous to us. The only close replacement, if you
              want to
              use a modal, is "shouldn't".

              How about 'BE not allowed to INFINITIVE'?

              Jirka Bolech
            • Helga Humlova
              Message 6 of 18 , Mar 2, 2004
                No, no, no, no, no. Imagine you translate a "must-should" as
                "should-should" and something happens, because the user saw it as
                "recommendation only" and for various reasons did not do what he was
                "recommended" to do because you translated it as "should-should" which
                showed it as not being imperative.
                On the other hand, if you translate a "should-should" as "must-should"
                and it is actually only a "should-should" you might get in trouble with
                someone for excluding him/her from something because he/she does not
                fulfill this "must-should" requirement, even though it is only a
                "should-should" requirement and this person, had he/she known that it is
                only a "should-should" requirement would not have had to refrain from
                doing/using because of the non-fulfillment of a requirement, which
                actually was not meant to be an imperative requirement.

                It seems that something I never saw as being a problem is actually more
                than a problem.

                H.

> [...]

                > recommended".
                > However, it can sometimes mean "you had better, if you don't want
                > trouble,
                > but it's still your choice". Occasionally, someone uses the word to
                > sound
                > friendly when they really mean "must", or at least where a German or a
                > Czech
                > would want to say "must".
                >
                > Remember that in English we don't say "must" as much as the Germans or
                > Czechs, possibly because we have a longer history of egalitarianism.
                > German
                > managers coming to the US often have to be trained to stop saying
                "must"
                > unless they
                > are being extremely forceful. It is to be replaced with "should" or
                > "have
                > to", so that, as in one case I know, the German does not end up with

              • spektrum2002
                Message 7 of 18 , Mar 2, 2004
                  Myslim sice, ze Helze neslo tolik o to, jaky vyraz pouzit v
                  anglictine, jako o to, jak prelozit "should" do cestiny nebo nemciny.
                  Nicmene Jamieho vetu "Better to be safe than sorry" bych aplikoval i
                  tady. Je urcite lepsi, kdyz strana A vezme doporuceni strany A jako
                  prikaz (vozidlo nesmi ridit osoba mladsi 16 let), nez kdyz prikaz
                  strany A pochopi jako doporuceni (vozidlo by nemela ridit osoba
                  mladsi 16 let).

                  Message 8 of 18 , Mar 2, 2004
                    Jamie, what you say is for the direction into E. I am curious about the
                    direction from E into another language. As we all know, most translators
                    have a better knowledge of the language they translate into than of the
                    language of the source text. So, what I understand from your explanation
                    is that I would need an extremely deep insight of E on most various
                    everyday and contract situations to be able to judge when a "should" is
                    a "should-should" and when a "must-should".

                    H.

[...]

                    Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                    <http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=12c7bhivm/M=274551.4550177.5761904.1261774/D=eg
                    roupweb/S=1705043588:HM/EXP=1078320381/A=2019528/R=2/SIG=141rnchc9/*http
                    :/ad.doubleclick.net/jump/N3349.yahoo1/B1282054.27;abr=!ie4;abr=!ie5;sz=
                    300x250;code=18634;dcopt=rcl;ord=1078233981665268?>

                    Click Here
                    <http://ad.doubleclick.net/ad/N3349.yahoo1/B1282054.27;abr=!ie4;abr=!ie5
                    ;sz=300x250;code=18634;dcopt=rcl;ord=1078233981665268?> Click Here

                    <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=274551.4550177.5761904.1261774/D=egrou
                    pweb/S=:HM/A=2019528/rand=239005154>

                    _____

                    Yahoo! Groups Links

                  • vollams
                    Message 9 of 18 , Mar 2, 2004
                      > I don't know how US courts have interpreted "should". For
                      > all I know they
                      > may have interpreted it as equivalent to "must" in some
                      > cases. Or else it's
                      > possible that some courts interpret it one way, and others
                      > interpret it
                      > another.

                      I'm currently working on a translation based in part on standards issued
                      by the US-based Institute of Internal Auditors. These standards are full
                      of 'should', and right at the end there's an explanatory note:

                      "The use of the word 'should' in these Standards represents a mandatory
                      obligation."

                      I only mention this to add weight to the argument that even native
                      speakers are not always sure how to interpret the word.

                      Simon
                    • Helga Humlova
                      Message 10 of 18 , Mar 2, 2004
                        No Petre, to by zrovna nerekla, protoze pak by se nekdo mohl citit jako
                        "excluded" a muze te za to zalovat, kdyz kvuli nekorektniho prekladu on
                        "ma zakaz" neco delat, i kdyz ho vlastne nema, protoze se jednalo
                        "pouze" o doporuceni nikoliv o zakaz.

                        H.

                        Message 11 of 18 , Mar 2, 2004
                          Helga, now you're getting into the absurdity that the American trial law
                          system has sunken to. In fact, anyone who breathes can get sued. Or as a
                          lawyer told me, "If you have a lawyer and a premise, you have a lawsuit." Since
                          we cannot live without exposing ourselves to the possibility of a lawsuit, and
                          our estate could get sued if we kill ourselves, then the only thing you can
                          really do is use your best judgment and err on the side of caution.

                          Think of this:

                          1. If an employer allows harassment to occur among his workers, either a
                          worker or the government (state civil rights department, federal Equal
                          Employment Opportunity Commission [EEOC]) can sue him, even if the harassment went on
                          in a language he did not understand.
                          2. If the employer forbids his employees from speaking languages he does
                          not understand, he can be sued for discrimination by the EEOC, which persists in
                          bringing such lawsuits even though the Supreme Court has ruled more than once
                          that such restrictions are legal.

                          So, a restaurant owner in a current case found that some of his employees
                          were harassing others, and he couldn't keep tabs on it, because it was going in
                          in Navajo. Worried about a harassment suit, he figured he'd better set
                          conditions that allowed him to know whether anyone was being harassed. The only
                          way to do this was to forbid the employees to speak Navajo, except with
                          customers who did not speak English well. Even though this is legal, the EEOC has
                          sued him.

                          In my linguistics courses, I have to discuss a dialect called "African
                          American Vernacular English". This is the politically correct term, and I explain
                          the dialect in the most politically correct manner possible. Nonetheless, my
                          department, the university legal team and I had to waste a lot of time last
                          year dealing with an official racism complaint against me by a student who was
                          angry that I discussed "African American Vernacular English" but then turned
                          around and said there was no dialect called "Caucasian English". I'm sorry;
                          there just isn't!

                          So they have you coming and going. You can be sued for anything you do,
                          including laughing. Just be cautious and do your best.

                          Jamie

                        • JPKIRCHNER@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 18 , Mar 2, 2004
                            In a message dated 3/2/04 8:46:16 AM, jirka.bolech@... writes:

                            > > One of the problems here is that we don't have a word for "nesmí".
                            > Czechs
                            > say the English word for it is "mustn't", but that is hardly ever used in
                            > America and it sounds humorous to us.   The only close replacement, if you
                            > want to
                            > use a modal, is "shouldn't".
                            >
                            > How about 'BE not allowed to INFINITIVE'?

                            Yes, you're right. I mean a word-to-word correspondence, not an idiom.

                          • Terminus Technicus
                            Message 13 of 18 , Mar 2, 2004
                              Jo jo jo jo jo :)

                              To uz prece davno vime, ze existuji "areas" kde nejde prelozit ABC jako DEF
                              tak, aby to melo absolutne stejny vyznam a jeste aby to znelo jako original
                              veta v cilovem jazyce... nerikam, ze je to jasne nebo jednoduche, ale od
                              toho tu jsme, abychom posoudili a prelozili jak nejlip umime...

                              Vim, ze se mnou v tomhle nesouhlasis, Helgo, a tohle je jeden z prikladu,
                              kde bychom mohli diskutovat do zblbnuti...

                              Cestina je tady IMHO asi tak stejne striktni jako Nemcina - i nase povahy -
                              pokud jde o prikazy a zakazy - jsou rekl bych blize nes ty za
                              oceanem/Anglickych mluvcich..., ale presto mi to nepripada jako takovy
                              problem....

                              ve vetsine pripadu proste zhodnotim, co tim autor myslel (see Jamie's
                              comments) a pak to nejak pojednam... pokud by na tom jedinem sluvku zavisel
                              zivot, (neco us oudu, nebo ten priklad co uvadel Simon) - prelozim to stejne
                              tak (aby to bylo co nejblize zamyslenemu vyznamu - pokud jej znam), plus
                              dodam poznamku podobnou jako uvadi Simon (ze jako v A neni nekdy jasne,
                              jestli should je muset nebo moci, nebo melo by.., takze at si daji
                              pozor...)... ale jak rikam, troufam si tvrdit, ze tak v 90% mych prekladu
                              (smlouvy delam bezne, ale na soud ani podobne veci se nespecializuji) tenhle
                              problem nenestava - tedy alespon pokud si zachovam chladnou hlavu a nezacnu
                              ve tri rano zmatkovat a vymyslet 99 verzi jedne vety zavisejicich na
                              drobnych nuancich kazdeho slova v ni (coz se nekdy stava)..

                              A vim, ze se mnou nebudes souhlasit :), ber to jako muj nazor, zivot neni
                              skoro nikdy nalinkovany a cernobily, tak proc by takove mely byt i vsechny
                              popsane papiry (i kdyz nektere by takove SHOULD byt :)

                              Matej

                              > No, no, no, no, no. Imagine you translate a "must-should" as
                              > "should-should" and something happens, because the user saw it as
                              > "recommendation only" and for various reasons did not do what he was
                              > "recommended" to do because you translated it as "should-should" which
                              > showed it as not being imperative.
                              > On the other hand, if you translate a "should-should" as "must-should"
                              > and it is actually only a "should-should" you might get in trouble with
                              > someone for excluding him/her from something because he/she does not
                              > fulfill this "must-should" requirement, even though it is only a
                              > "should-should" requirement and this person, had he/she known that it is
                              > only a "should-should" requirement would not have had to refrain from
                              > doing/using because of the non-fulfillment of a requirement, which
                              > actually was not meant to be an imperative requirement.
                              >
                              > It seems that something I never saw as being a problem is actually more
                              > than a problem.
                              >
                              > H.

                            • Josef Hlavac
                              Message 14 of 18 , Mar 8, 2004
                                > I only mention this to add weight to the argument that even native
                                > speakers are not always sure how to interpret the word.

                                I second that. Many Internet-related standards (RFCs) contain a section
                                that defines the exact meaning of terms such as "must", "must not",
                                "should", "may", etc.

                                In this case, "should" usually means "recommended".

                                Joe

                                --
                                Mailto: Josef "Joe" Hlavac <joe@...>
                                Phone: +420-776-736715