Re: [Czechlist] What does "should" actually mean??????

  • JPKIRCHNER@aol.com
    Message 1 of 18 , Mar 2 4:49 AM
      In a message dated 3/2/04 7:39:23 AM, prekladatelka@... writes:

      > The basic concern is: does this "should" express a "must" or a "is
      > recommended"

      As when my ESL students ask an "either/or question", my answer is "yes".

      > Examples:
      >
      > Before riding with a passenger, the driver should become highly familiar
      > with the operation of the vehicle.

      Translation: "You can run the vehicle without being highly familiar with
      its operation, but you could get yourself into big trouble if you don't orient
      yourself first. So you had better get familiar with it."

      > Protective clothing that should be worn by the operator:

      In this case, it means "must".

      > No one under the age of 16 should operate this vehicle.

      In this case it means "had better".

      In general speech, "should" usually means "ought to" or "it is recommended".
      However, it can sometimes mean "you had better, if you don't want trouble,
      but it's still your choice". Occasionally, someone uses the word to sound
      friendly when they really mean "must", or at least where a German or a Czech
      would want to say "must".

      Remember that in English we don't say "must" as much as the Germans or
      Czechs, possibly because we have a longer history of egalitarianism. German
      managers coming to the US often have to be trained to stop saying "must" unless they
      are being extremely forceful. It is to be replaced with "should" or "have
      to", so that, as in one case I know, the German does not end up with the office
      nickname of "The Gestapo".

    • Helga Humlova
      Message 2 of 18 , Mar 2 5:11 AM
        So, how in the world a non native speaker of E knows, when "should" is
        actually "must" and in which cases it is "recommend". I am so suspicious
        about that because we all know that - especially - Americans "love" law
        suits and I would think that companies are extremely careful about _how_
        they say things. So, if I were a US company I would avoid the word
        "should" when I mean "must" because any US lawyer would interpret
        "should" as just being a recommendation and as we all know,
        recommendations are not binding. So if I only "recommend" something,
        this is not binding for my client and therefore he can sue me that I
        have not told him that this and that is absolutely imperative.

        From what I have said so far I come to the point, that for the purpose
        of _correct_ translation it is extremely important for us to exactly
        understand what a certain word stands for, or the translation may be
        totally wrong. I think you would agree with me, that it is definitely
        wrong to say "musite udelat/mit/...." when the author actually meant
        "byloby dobre, kdybsyste...." and vice versa it would be even worse.

        So, what am I supposed to do, think, believe??????

        Helga

        > The basic concern is: does this "should" express a "must" or a "is
        > recommended"

        As when my ESL students ask an "either/or question", my answer is "yes".

        > Examples:
        >
        > Before riding with a passenger, the driver should become highly
        familiar
        > with the operation of the vehicle.

        Translation: "You can run the vehicle without being highly familiar
        with
        its operation, but you could get yourself into big trouble if you don't
        orient
        yourself first. So you had better get familiar with it."

        > Protective clothing that should be worn by the operator:

        In this case, it means "must".

        > No one under the age of 16 should operate this vehicle.

        In this case it means "had better".

        In general speech, "should" usually means "ought to" or "it is
        recommended".
        However, it can sometimes mean "you had better, if you don't want
        trouble,
        but it's still your choice". Occasionally, someone uses the word to
        sound
        friendly when they really mean "must", or at least where a German or a
        Czech
        would want to say "must".

        Remember that in English we don't say "must" as much as the Germans or
        Czechs, possibly because we have a longer history of egalitarianism.
        German
        managers coming to the US often have to be trained to stop saying "must"
        unless they
        are being extremely forceful. It is to be replaced with "should" or
        "have
        to", so that, as in one case I know, the German does not end up with the
        office
        nickname of "The Gestapo".

      • Terminus Technicus
        Message 3 of 18 , Mar 2 5:22 AM
          Ahoj Helgo,

          Don't think we're that desperate... in contracts, if the author wants to say
          "someone must do something", they usually say "someone shall do
          something"... haven't seen many contracts with "should" in them. In notices
          and instructions, you'll probably be able to judge what they meant by the
          meaning/context of the sentence...

          In the bus driver example you gave, I think it's safe to assume it means
          MUST, or at least it SHOULD mean must :), otherwise the sentence would not
          have to be written in the first place... common sense, context and instinct
          should be enough to carry you trhough most problems... but I've got a
          feeling that your question/discussion comes from a German-speaking group and
          the frustration comes from the German (and Austrian) looooove for
          "ordnung" - n'est ce pas?

          Matej

          > So, how in the world a non native speaker of E knows, when "should" is
          > actually "must" and in which cases it is "recommend". I am so suspicious
          > about that because we all know that - especially - Americans "love" law
          > suits and I would think that companies are extremely careful about _how_
          > they say things. So, if I were a US company I would avoid the word
          > "should" when I mean "must" because any US lawyer would interpret
          > "should" as just being a recommendation and as we all know,
          > recommendations are not binding. So if I only "recommend" something,
          > this is not binding for my client and therefore he can sue me that I
          > have not told him that this and that is absolutely imperative.
          >
          > From what I have said so far I come to the point, that for the purpose
          > of _correct_ translation it is extremely important for us to exactly
          > understand what a certain word stands for, or the translation may be
          > totally wrong. I think you would agree with me, that it is definitely
          > wrong to say "musite udelat/mit/...." when the author actually meant
          > "byloby dobre, kdybsyste...." and vice versa it would be even worse.
          >
          > So, what am I supposed to do, think, believe??????
          >
          > Helga

        • spektrum2002
          Message 4 of 18 , Mar 2 5:22 AM
            Tim bych si nebyl tak jist. Existuji predpisy stanovici, od ktereho
            veku se smi ridit jake vozidlo (maly motocykl, normalni motocykl,
            automobil ...). Umim si predstavit vnitropodnikovy predpis o
            vysokozdviznem voziku, kde se zakazuje osobam mladsim 16 let vozidlo
            obsluhovat.
            Petr A.

            Message 5 of 18 , Mar 2 5:26 AM
              You can use various expressions instead of "must".

              For example:

              "Protective clothing is required when handling..."
              "Wear protective clothing when handling..."
              "It is necessary to wear protective clothing when..."

              "Do not allow anyone under 16 to operate this vehicle."
              "This vehicle is to be driven by people 16 and over."

              One of the problems here is that we don't have a word for "nesmí". Czechs
              say the English word for it is "mustn't", but that is hardly ever used in
              America and it sounds humorous to us. The only close replacement, if you want to
              use a modal, is "shouldn't".

              I don't know how US courts have interpreted "should". For all I know they
              may have interpreted it as equivalent to "must" in some cases. Or else it's
              possible that some courts interpret it one way, and others interpret it
              another. Besides, in a country where you can be sued for "excessive eye contact",
              "insufficient eye contact", or even for saying, "Excuse me, ladies," there is
              no way to completely eliminate your exposure to lawsuits.

              If something is imperative, use "must" or some other expression that shows it
              is imperative. If it's only a recommendation, use "should". Better to be
              safe than sorry.

            • JPKIRCHNER@aol.com
              Message 6 of 18 , Mar 2 5:32 AM
                In the example about driving, in the United States when a manual says, "This
                vehicle should be driven by people over 16," it is equivalent to saying, "This
                vehicle must be operated by licensed drivers." Sixteen is the age when most
                Americans get their driver's license, unless they have not taken a driver's
                training course, in which case the age is usually 18.

                So, when Americans say, "No one under 16 should operate this," it's generally
                an unconscious euphemism for, "Only licensed drivers should operate this."

                Message 7 of 18 , Mar 2 5:36 AM
                  Jamie wrote:

                  > One of the problems here is that we don't have a word for "nesmí".
                  Czechs
                  say the English word for it is "mustn't", but that is hardly ever used in
                  America and it sounds humorous to us. The only close replacement, if you
                  want to
                  use a modal, is "shouldn't".

                  How about 'BE not allowed to INFINITIVE'?

                  Jirka Bolech
                • Helga Humlova
                  Message 8 of 18 , Mar 2 5:41 AM
                    No, no, no, no, no. Imagine you translate a "must-should" as
                    "should-should" and something happens, because the user saw it as
                    "recommendation only" and for various reasons did not do what he was
                    "recommended" to do because you translated it as "should-should" which
                    showed it as not being imperative.
                    On the other hand, if you translate a "should-should" as "must-should"
                    and it is actually only a "should-should" you might get in trouble with
                    someone for excluding him/her from something because he/she does not
                    fulfill this "must-should" requirement, even though it is only a
                    "should-should" requirement and this person, had he/she known that it is
                    only a "should-should" requirement would not have had to refrain from
                    doing/using because of the non-fulfillment of a requirement, which
                    actually was not meant to be an imperative requirement.

                    It seems that something I never saw as being a problem is actually more
                    than a problem.

                    H.

> [...]

                    > recommended".
                    > However, it can sometimes mean "you had better, if you don't want
                    > trouble,
                    > but it's still your choice". Occasionally, someone uses the word to
                    > sound
                    > friendly when they really mean "must", or at least where a German or a
                    > Czech
                    > would want to say "must".
                    >
                    > Remember that in English we don't say "must" as much as the Germans or
                    > Czechs, possibly because we have a longer history of egalitarianism.
                    > German
                    > managers coming to the US often have to be trained to stop saying
                    "must"
                    > unless they
                    > are being extremely forceful. It is to be replaced with "should" or
                    > "have
                    > to", so that, as in one case I know, the German does not end up with

                  • spektrum2002
                    Message 9 of 18 , Mar 2 5:43 AM
                      Myslim sice, ze Helze neslo tolik o to, jaky vyraz pouzit v
                      anglictine, jako o to, jak prelozit "should" do cestiny nebo nemciny.
                      Nicmene Jamieho vetu "Better to be safe than sorry" bych aplikoval i
                      tady. Je urcite lepsi, kdyz strana A vezme doporuceni strany A jako
                      prikaz (vozidlo nesmi ridit osoba mladsi 16 let), nez kdyz prikaz
                      strany A pochopi jako doporuceni (vozidlo by nemela ridit osoba
                      mladsi 16 let).

                      Message 10 of 18 , Mar 2 5:46 AM
                        Jamie, what you say is for the direction into E. I am curious about the
                        direction from E into another language. As we all know, most translators
                        have a better knowledge of the language they translate into than of the
                        language of the source text. So, what I understand from your explanation
                        is that I would need an extremely deep insight of E on most various
                        everyday and contract situations to be able to judge when a "should" is
                        a "should-should" and when a "must-should".

                        H.

[...]

                        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                        <http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=12c7bhivm/M=274551.4550177.5761904.1261774/D=eg
                        roupweb/S=1705043588:HM/EXP=1078320381/A=2019528/R=2/SIG=141rnchc9/*http
                        :/ad.doubleclick.net/jump/N3349.yahoo1/B1282054.27;abr=!ie4;abr=!ie5;sz=
                        300x250;code=18634;dcopt=rcl;ord=1078233981665268?>

                        Click Here
                        <http://ad.doubleclick.net/ad/N3349.yahoo1/B1282054.27;abr=!ie4;abr=!ie5
                        ;sz=300x250;code=18634;dcopt=rcl;ord=1078233981665268?> Click Here

                        <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=274551.4550177.5761904.1261774/D=egrou
                        pweb/S=:HM/A=2019528/rand=239005154>

                        _____

                        Yahoo! Groups Links

                      • vollams
                        Message 11 of 18 , Mar 2 5:46 AM
                          > I don't know how US courts have interpreted "should". For
                          > all I know they
                          > may have interpreted it as equivalent to "must" in some
                          > cases. Or else it's
                          > possible that some courts interpret it one way, and others
                          > interpret it
                          > another.

                          I'm currently working on a translation based in part on standards issued
                          by the US-based Institute of Internal Auditors. These standards are full
                          of 'should', and right at the end there's an explanatory note:

                          "The use of the word 'should' in these Standards represents a mandatory
                          obligation."

                          I only mention this to add weight to the argument that even native
                          speakers are not always sure how to interpret the word.

                          Simon
                        • Helga Humlova
                          Message 12 of 18 , Mar 2 5:50 AM
                            No Petre, to by zrovna nerekla, protoze pak by se nekdo mohl citit jako
                            "excluded" a muze te za to zalovat, kdyz kvuli nekorektniho prekladu on
                            "ma zakaz" neco delat, i kdyz ho vlastne nema, protoze se jednalo
                            "pouze" o doporuceni nikoliv o zakaz.

                            H.

                            Message 13 of 18 , Mar 2 6:03 AM
                              Helga, now you're getting into the absurdity that the American trial law
                              system has sunken to. In fact, anyone who breathes can get sued. Or as a
                              lawyer told me, "If you have a lawyer and a premise, you have a lawsuit." Since
                              we cannot live without exposing ourselves to the possibility of a lawsuit, and
                              our estate could get sued if we kill ourselves, then the only thing you can
                              really do is use your best judgment and err on the side of caution.

                              Think of this:

                              1. If an employer allows harassment to occur among his workers, either a
                              worker or the government (state civil rights department, federal Equal
                              Employment Opportunity Commission [EEOC]) can sue him, even if the harassment went on
                              in a language he did not understand.
                              2. If the employer forbids his employees from speaking languages he does
                              not understand, he can be sued for discrimination by the EEOC, which persists in
                              bringing such lawsuits even though the Supreme Court has ruled more than once
                              that such restrictions are legal.

                              So, a restaurant owner in a current case found that some of his employees
                              were harassing others, and he couldn't keep tabs on it, because it was going in
                              in Navajo. Worried about a harassment suit, he figured he'd better set
                              conditions that allowed him to know whether anyone was being harassed. The only
                              way to do this was to forbid the employees to speak Navajo, except with
                              customers who did not speak English well. Even though this is legal, the EEOC has
                              sued him.

                              In my linguistics courses, I have to discuss a dialect called "African
                              American Vernacular English". This is the politically correct term, and I explain
                              the dialect in the most politically correct manner possible. Nonetheless, my
                              department, the university legal team and I had to waste a lot of time last
                              year dealing with an official racism complaint against me by a student who was
                              angry that I discussed "African American Vernacular English" but then turned
                              around and said there was no dialect called "Caucasian English". I'm sorry;
                              there just isn't!

                              So they have you coming and going. You can be sued for anything you do,
                              including laughing. Just be cautious and do your best.

                              Jamie

                            • JPKIRCHNER@aol.com
                              Message 14 of 18 , Mar 2 6:05 AM
                                In a message dated 3/2/04 8:46:16 AM, jirka.bolech@... writes:

                                > > One of the problems here is that we don't have a word for "nesmí".
                                > Czechs
                                > say the English word for it is "mustn't", but that is hardly ever used in
                                > America and it sounds humorous to us.   The only close replacement, if you
                                > want to
                                > use a modal, is "shouldn't".
                                >
                                > How about 'BE not allowed to INFINITIVE'?

                                Yes, you're right. I mean a word-to-word correspondence, not an idiom.

                              • Terminus Technicus
                                Message 15 of 18 , Mar 2 6:21 AM
                                  Jo jo jo jo jo :)

                                  To uz prece davno vime, ze existuji "areas" kde nejde prelozit ABC jako DEF
                                  tak, aby to melo absolutne stejny vyznam a jeste aby to znelo jako original
                                  veta v cilovem jazyce... nerikam, ze je to jasne nebo jednoduche, ale od
                                  toho tu jsme, abychom posoudili a prelozili jak nejlip umime...

                                  Vim, ze se mnou v tomhle nesouhlasis, Helgo, a tohle je jeden z prikladu,
                                  kde bychom mohli diskutovat do zblbnuti...

                                  Cestina je tady IMHO asi tak stejne striktni jako Nemcina - i nase povahy -
                                  pokud jde o prikazy a zakazy - jsou rekl bych blize nes ty za
                                  oceanem/Anglickych mluvcich..., ale presto mi to nepripada jako takovy
                                  problem....

                                  ve vetsine pripadu proste zhodnotim, co tim autor myslel (see Jamie's
                                  comments) a pak to nejak pojednam... pokud by na tom jedinem sluvku zavisel
                                  zivot, (neco us oudu, nebo ten priklad co uvadel Simon) - prelozim to stejne
                                  tak (aby to bylo co nejblize zamyslenemu vyznamu - pokud jej znam), plus
                                  dodam poznamku podobnou jako uvadi Simon (ze jako v A neni nekdy jasne,
                                  jestli should je muset nebo moci, nebo melo by.., takze at si daji
                                  pozor...)... ale jak rikam, troufam si tvrdit, ze tak v 90% mych prekladu
                                  (smlouvy delam bezne, ale na soud ani podobne veci se nespecializuji) tenhle
                                  problem nenestava - tedy alespon pokud si zachovam chladnou hlavu a nezacnu
                                  ve tri rano zmatkovat a vymyslet 99 verzi jedne vety zavisejicich na
                                  drobnych nuancich kazdeho slova v ni (coz se nekdy stava)..

                                  A vim, ze se mnou nebudes souhlasit :), ber to jako muj nazor, zivot neni
                                  skoro nikdy nalinkovany a cernobily, tak proc by takove mely byt i vsechny
                                  popsane papiry (i kdyz nektere by takove SHOULD byt :)

                                  Matej

                                  > No, no, no, no, no. Imagine you translate a "must-should" as
                                  > "should-should" and something happens, because the user saw it as
                                  > "recommendation only" and for various reasons did not do what he was
                                  > "recommended" to do because you translated it as "should-should" which
                                  > showed it as not being imperative.
                                  > On the other hand, if you translate a "should-should" as "must-should"
                                  > and it is actually only a "should-should" you might get in trouble with
                                  > someone for excluding him/her from something because he/she does not
                                  > fulfill this "must-should" requirement, even though it is only a
                                  > "should-should" requirement and this person, had he/she known that it is
                                  > only a "should-should" requirement would not have had to refrain from
                                  > doing/using because of the non-fulfillment of a requirement, which
                                  > actually was not meant to be an imperative requirement.
                                  >
                                  > It seems that something I never saw as being a problem is actually more
                                  > than a problem.
                                  >
                                  > H.

                                • Josef Hlavac
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Mar 8 6:09 AM
                                    > I only mention this to add weight to the argument that even native
                                    > speakers are not always sure how to interpret the word.

                                    I second that. Many Internet-related standards (RFCs) contain a section
                                    that defines the exact meaning of terms such as "must", "must not",
                                    "should", "may", etc.

                                    In this case, "should" usually means "recommended".

                                    Joe

                                    --
                                    Mailto: Josef "Joe" Hlavac <joe@...>
                                    Phone: +420-776-736715