[Czechlist] LEGALESE: vyvinit se

  • Petr Veselý
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 2, 2004
      Hi all self-made lawyers,

      Am I right with the meaning of the term above if I translate it as follows:
      Original:
      Tato adresa je mistem, kde ma byt dorucovana veskera korespondence a
      kupujici se nemuze vyvinit, ze se na teto adrese nezdrzuje.

      My translation:
      .....and the Purchaser cannot be exculpated from his liabilities by claiming
      that he does not dwell at this address.

      I am especially keen on the usage of "exculpated", which is suggested in the
      dictionary by Chroma. Do I have to add "from his liabilities" or is it
      enough to use the verb only?

      Any comment appreciated.
      Petr
    • Machovcova Eva
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 2, 2004
        Dobry den,

        Neslo by zde pouzi i termin disclaim liability for st.? Nasla jsem tyto priklady vet. From his liability musi byt uvedeno.

        Petitioner cannot exculpate itself from liability by claiming that respondent networks were themselves negligent.

        a.. Schools and school districts probably cannot disclaim liability for copyright infringement by students or employees.

        Eva
        Am I right with the meaning of the term above if I translate it as follows:
        Original:
        Tato adresa je mistem, kde ma byt dorucovana veskera korespondence a
        kupujici se nemuze vyvinit, ze se na teto adrese nezdrzuje.

        My translation:
        .....and the Purchaser cannot be exculpated from his liabilities by claiming
        that he does not dwell at this address.

        I am especially keen on the usage of "exculpated", which is suggested in the
        dictionary by Chroma. Do I have to add "from his liabilities" or is it
        enough to use the verb only?

        Any comment appreciated.
        Petr

        Czechlist Users' Guide:

        http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Forum/7953/newfaq.html

      • JPKIRCHNER@aol.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 2, 2004
          In a message dated 3/2/04 3:46:53 AM, veselypetr@... writes:

          > Tato adresa je mistem, kde ma byt dorucovana veskera korespondence a
          > kupujici se nemuze vyvinit, ze se na teto adrese nezdrzuje.
          >
          > My translation:
          > .....and the Purchaser cannot be exculpated from his liabilities by claiming
          > that he does not dwell at this address.

          I think exculpate is probably okay here, unless you want to say, "and the
          purchaser cannot wiggle out of paying by claiming not to be at this address."
          ;-)

          The term I am wondering about here is "liabilities". I am not a lawyer, but
          it seems to me it may not be appropriate here.