Re: [Czechlist] Re: TERMS: Titles

  • JPKIRCHNER@aol.com
    Message 1 of 23 , Feb 26, 2004
      In a message dated 2/26/04 12:33:15 PM, mjanda@... writes:

      > Probably you were not... but don't forget you livied in Czechia in early
      > 90s, in the time when no one had the proper education, since there was no
      > such education available. This has changed a lot, and the trend will go
      > on...

      That's what I was wondering. Thanks. I notice from what friends there now
      tell me that today I could probably not have gotten the teaching work I did
      there 10 years ago. Seems I would need a certificate from certain specific
      organizations.

    • Michael Grant
      Message 2 of 23 , Feb 26, 2004
        On Feb 26, 2004, at 11:47 AM, JPKIRCHNER@... wrote:

        > I notice from what friends there now
        > tell me that today I could probably not have gotten the teaching work
        > I did
        > there 10 years ago. Seems I would need a certificate from certain
        > specific
        > organizations.

        Probably a good thing, not in your specific case but in general,
        considering the prevailing quality of English instruction in those
        days....

        Michael

        --
        "Monolingualism is a form of oppression!"
        - Ilan Stavans
        Message 3 of 23 , Feb 26, 2004
          --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Martin Janda" <mjanda@g...> wrote:
          > Probably you were not... but don't forget you livied in Czechia in
          early
          > 90s, in the time when no one had the proper education, since there
          was no
          > such education available. This has changed a lot, and the trend
          will go
          > on...

          Martin, what kind of education in this case do you mean?

          Kostas
        • JPKIRCHNER@aol.com
          Message 4 of 23 , Feb 26, 2004
            In a message dated 2/26/04 1:16:00 PM, trans@... writes:

            > Probably a good thing, not in your specific case but in general,
            > considering the prevailing quality of English instruction in those
            > days....

            Oh, absolutely! The only problem was that as early as 1994 they were
            already taking a meat-axe approach to the whole thing. I met people with master's
            degrees in ESL and years of experience in the West, who were condemned to
            teaching conversation classes only, because it was assumed at their schools that
            only Czechs knew grammar.

            Message 5 of 23 , Feb 26, 2004
              There was no problem to do a banker, TV host, marketing director, or even
              ambassador in those days, without having graduated from any kind of at least
              a bit relevant school or university. This is much harder today... as long as
              the demand is high for a particular position in question. But I can assure
              Jamie that he could do an English teacher even today, at least in the
              coutryside. Perhaps not as a full-fledged teacher, but he could definitely
              teach.

              > > Probably you were not... but don't forget you livied in Czechia in
              > early
              > > 90s, in the time when no one had the proper education, since there
              > was no
              > > such education available. This has changed a lot, and the trend
              > will go
              > > on...
              >
              > Martin, what kind of education in this case do you mean?
              >
              > Kostas
              >

              > Czechlist Users' Guide:
              >
              > http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Forum/7953/newfaq.html
              >

              > Yahoo! Groups Links