Re: [Czechlist] Query

  • Kostas Zgafas
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 28, 2000
      Hi all!

      I would like to ask the following detail ragarding my comprehension of
      English "possibly hidden messages".
      I was asked by an agency (US) for my rate regarding a specific job. I
      replied them stating my rate (let´s say "X" cents/word). Shortly, they
      followed with their reply, saying exactly: X cents/word is just fine.
      Now, for the sake of my future strategy, I am thinking about the "real
      meaning" of their reply, and trying to figure out how I should understand
      that word "just". Does it mean: "X cents is just fine, but you were lucky
      that you didn´t shoot higher, becouse we would go somewhere else"? Or, am I
      just an exaggerating paranoic, and that word "just" does not bear any
      special meaning?

      Thank you,

      Kostas
    • Melvyn Clarke
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 28, 2000
        --- In Czechlist@egroups.com, "Kostas Zgafas" <kzgafas@t...> wrote:

        > Hi all!
        >
        >just fine <snip> "possibly hidden messages" <snip>

        Hi Kostas,

        If I saw the words 'just fine' in this context, I wouldn't worry that
        I was somehow pushing it. The 'just' here does not necessarily
        suggest to me that they are implying "so far and no further".

        I don't think you can tell that much from the printed words alone
        here. However, if they were spoken words, the intonation could tell
        you a lot. I'd say the expression 'just fine' might even have a
        rather
        expansive easy-going feel about it. I could even imagine it used in a
        situation where the agency people can't believe their luck at what
        they have just got away with, especially if it is a long "juuuust
        fine" with rising intonation on the first syllable and tongue firmly
        in cheek:).

        Regards,

        Melvyn
      • JPKIRCHNER@aol.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 28, 2000
          In a message dated 8/28/00 3:33:46 PM, kzgafas@... writes:

          >Or, am I
          >just an exaggerating paranoic, and that word "just" does not bear any
          >special meaning?

          You're an exaggerating paranoid -- at least this one time. "Just fine" is a
          friendly way of saying, "I'm completely satisfied." These people are
          accepting your offer, and they are being NICE to you.

          Jamie
        • Otto Pacholik
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 29, 2000
            > expansive easy-going feel about it. I could even imagine it used in a
            > situation where the agency people can't believe their luck at what
            > they have just got away with, especially if it is a long "juuuust
            > fine" with rising intonation on the first syllable and tongue firmly
            > in cheek:).

            Especially, if you quoted your price as X cents/word and not as XX
            cents/word, ie. under 10 US cents/word :-)

            Otto
          • Michael Grant
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 31, 2000
              >Or, am I
              >just an exaggerating paranoic, and that word "just" does not bear any
              >special meaning?

              No special meaning--if anything, they were quite pleased. Your quote
              may have been a little low and you could probably have gotten away
              with more. (I think you already know it, but Czech translating rates
              are quite low even by the standards of neighboring central/east
              European countries, so don't be shy when offering to work for west
              Europeans and North Americans.)

              Michael

              Tel. (+1-512) 336-8911, Fax (+1-512) 336-8954