Chuckie

  • Melvyn Clarke
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 26, 2000
      >Melvyn,
      thank you for the links and resources, I am ill at the moment and
      absolutely bored,

      Sorry to hear that, Lenka. Is there anything else we can do on Czechlist to
      cheer you up??

      >so I just checked them out and found quite a good stuff I will
      need
      in my studies sooner or later.
      Lenka

      Again, Rachel (AKA Cousin IT) is the one to thank.

      > And, as usual, little question to ask.

      Uh-oh

      > I have a friend from Manchester, who
      uses the work "chuck" all the time. He told me it was typical for people
      from Manchester only, however, refused to tell me what it actually meant.
      Could you tell me, please?
      Thank you.

      Gosh, makes it sound quite sinister:). Well my etymological dictionary
      tells me it is a
      northern (don't laugh, Rachel) expression of endearment, similar to
      'dearie', or 'love' (you
      might notice that shopkeepers will often call you 'love' in the north) and
      that it simply derives
      from 'chick' as in 'chicken'. I guess this explains why we sometimes call
      eggs 'chuckie eggs'
      in our far northern plovince. It is used all the time in our local soap
      opera "Coronation Street"
      (the oldest TV soap opera in the world - non-stop since 1960. One of the
      characters has
      been in it since the start. It has fifteen million viewers every episode and
      during the
      commercial break, the level of the local reservoirs visibly drops as
      fifteen million people put
      the kettle on and/or flush the toilet. Fact). The characters usually say
      "Ayup chuck' in a
      drawling (Hi Todd) dopey-sounding nasal Mancunian English.

      Tara chuck,

      Melvyn

      FREE Personalized Email at Mail.com