Re: [Czechlist] Re: Food versus foodstuff THANKS + one more term

  • Petr Veselý
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 3, 2004
      Hi Coilin,

      > Something like "not harmful to health" would sound a lot better to my ears
      > than the two suggestions you put forward
      > HTH

      Right, those dictionary suggestions are very clumsy, that's why I asked, but
      what about a noun, it's also the name of one chapter and your suggestion
      could not be used as a headline, though it sounds well.

      Petr

    • PSS Praha - Coilin O' Connor
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 3, 2004
        I'm not sure exactly what your context is, but I have a feeling that this is
        the sort of chapter that would be entitled "Health and Safety" in English.
        It may be way off beam in terms of a direct translation, but it would make
        sense if the chapter is talking about ensuring that products etc. are not
        harmful/detrimental to health

        As I said though, it depends on your context.

        Best regards

      • karel6005
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 3, 2004
          wrote:
          > awful term "zdravotni nezavadnost".

          "Zdravotni nezavadnost potravin" = "food safety".

          Source: personal contact with EU experts, ISAP database.

          BR

          Karel
        • Petr Veselý
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 3, 2004

            > "Zdravotni nezavadnost potravin" = "food safety".
            >
            > Source: personal contact with EU experts, ISAP database.

            Ach jo, toho jsem se obaval :((( Although I am sure that this compound
            covers the meaning well, unfortunately I cannot use it as the most frequent
            phrase in the text is "bezpecnost a kvalita potravin", which I translate as
            "safety and quality of food"; therefore I cannot use safety for
            "nezavadnost", as it sometimes occurs alongside with "bezpecnost". I will
            probably use sth like "food / products that are not harmfull to human
            health"

            Thanks again, Karel and Coilin
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 3, 2004
              --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, Petr Veselý <veselypetr@p...> wrote:
              I cannot use safety for
              > "nezavadnost", as it sometimes occurs alongside with "bezpecnost".

              Not an ideal solution but at a pinch you might consider 'harmlessness'. The narrower 'non-toxicity' has been suggested in the past for some contexts too. For a discussion of phrases that can be used for 'nezavadny', check out messages 699, 702, 703, 710, 711, 712 and 713 in the archive.

              M.
            • Rubková
              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 3, 2004
                Hi Petr,

                this is from official dictionary and might help you

                Advisory Committee on Agricultural Product Health and Safety Poradní výbor
                pro zdravotní nezávadnost a bezpecnost zemedelských výrobku

                Sarka

                > "nezavadnost", as it sometimes occurs alongside with "bezpecnost".

                Not an ideal solution but at a pinch you might consider 'harmlessness'. The
                narrower 'non-toxicity' has been suggested in the past for some contexts
                too. For a discussion of phrases that can be used for 'nezavadny', check out
                messages 699, 702, 703, 710, 711, 712 and 713 in the archive.

                M.

                Potrebujete nejake hezke cteni na dobrou noc? Czechlist Users' Guide:

                http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Forum/7953/newfaq.html

                Yahoo! Groups Links

                To visit your group on the web, go to:

                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/