Re: [Czechlist] Re: Food versus foodstuff THANKS + one more term

  • PSS Praha - Coilin O' Connor
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 3, 2004
      Something like "not harmful to health" would sound a lot better to my ears
      than the two suggestions you put forward
      HTH
      Coilin
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 3, 2004
        Hi Coilin,

        > Something like "not harmful to health" would sound a lot better to my ears
        > than the two suggestions you put forward
        > HTH

        Right, those dictionary suggestions are very clumsy, that's why I asked, but
        what about a noun, it's also the name of one chapter and your suggestion
        could not be used as a headline, though it sounds well.

        Petr

        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 3, 2004
          I'm not sure exactly what your context is, but I have a feeling that this is
          the sort of chapter that would be entitled "Health and Safety" in English.
          It may be way off beam in terms of a direct translation, but it would make
          sense if the chapter is talking about ensuring that products etc. are not
          harmful/detrimental to health

          As I said though, it depends on your context.

          Best regards
          Coilin

          > > Something like "not harmful to health" would sound a lot better to my
          ears
          > > than the two suggestions you put forward
          > > HTH
          >
          > Right, those dictionary suggestions are very clumsy, that's why I asked,
          but
          > what about a noun, it's also the name of one chapter and your suggestion
          > could not be used as a headline, though it sounds well.
          >
          > Petr
          >

          > > Coilin

        • karel6005
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 3, 2004
            wrote:
            > awful term "zdravotni nezavadnost".

            "Zdravotni nezavadnost potravin" = "food safety".

            Source: personal contact with EU experts, ISAP database.

            BR

            Karel
          • Petr Veselý
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 3, 2004

              > "Zdravotni nezavadnost potravin" = "food safety".
              >
              > Source: personal contact with EU experts, ISAP database.

              Ach jo, toho jsem se obaval :((( Although I am sure that this compound
              covers the meaning well, unfortunately I cannot use it as the most frequent
              phrase in the text is "bezpecnost a kvalita potravin", which I translate as
              "safety and quality of food"; therefore I cannot use safety for
              "nezavadnost", as it sometimes occurs alongside with "bezpecnost". I will
              probably use sth like "food / products that are not harmfull to human
              health"

              Thanks again, Karel and Coilin
              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 3, 2004
                --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, Petr Veselý <veselypetr@p...> wrote:
                I cannot use safety for
                > "nezavadnost", as it sometimes occurs alongside with "bezpecnost".

                Not an ideal solution but at a pinch you might consider 'harmlessness'. The narrower 'non-toxicity' has been suggested in the past for some contexts too. For a discussion of phrases that can be used for 'nezavadny', check out messages 699, 702, 703, 710, 711, 712 and 713 in the archive.

                M.
              • Rubková
                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 3, 2004
                  Hi Petr,

                  this is from official dictionary and might help you

                  Advisory Committee on Agricultural Product Health and Safety Poradní výbor
                  pro zdravotní nezávadnost a bezpecnost zemedelských výrobku

                  Sarka

                  > "nezavadnost", as it sometimes occurs alongside with "bezpecnost".

                  Not an ideal solution but at a pinch you might consider 'harmlessness'. The
                  narrower 'non-toxicity' has been suggested in the past for some contexts
                  too. For a discussion of phrases that can be used for 'nezavadny', check out
                  messages 699, 702, 703, 710, 711, 712 and 713 in the archive.

                  M.

                  Potrebujete nejake hezke cteni na dobrou noc? Czechlist Users' Guide:

                  http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Forum/7953/newfaq.html

                  Yahoo! Groups Links

                  To visit your group on the web, go to:

                  http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/