Re: [Czechlist] Re: Food versus foodstuff

  • Petr Veselý
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 3, 2004
      Many thanks, Karel and Dylan,

      > wrote:
      > > "krmivo zivocisneho / rostlinneho puvodu"; is it correct to say
      > animal / vegetable fodder
      >
      > Incorrect. "Fodder" = "objemne krmivo" (cf. "jadrne krmivo"
      > or "koncentraty" or "(krmne) smesi" or the like).
      >
      > "Feed" is the correct word.

      I started with "feed" but I replaced it by fodder in order not to confuse it
      with food. I thought that "fodder" and "feed" are more or less synonyms.
      However, the term "krmivo" used in the document refers mostly to the feeding
      of cattle (sometimes chickens). It doesn't not refer to pet food.
      Would the "fodder" be inappropriate in this context too?

      > "Animal feed" = "krmivo pro zvirata" (but this is IMHO a pleonasm,
      > of course "feed" is not for humans!)

      The problem is, even though it is clear that feed is not aimed for people,
      IMHO, the term "animal feed" just indicates (as you translated it) that it
      is aimed for animals, however, we don't know if the feed is made of animals
      or plants. This difference is the heart of the matter here, they
      differentiate "krmivo rostlinneho puvodu" and "krmivo zivocisneho puvodu" so
      I will continue using "feed of animal origin" rather than "animal feed".

      Petr
    • JPKIRCHNER@aol.com
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 3, 2004
        In a message dated 2/3/2004 7:38:35 AM Eastern Standard Time, veselypetr@... writes:

        > I started with "feed" but I replaced it by fodder in order not to confuse it
        > with food. I thought that "fodder" and "feed" are more or less synonyms.

        They are synonyms, except that we use "fodder" in many metaphorical ways that we don't use "feed". For example, soldiers in an army that is sent to fight even though everyone knows they are sure to lose are called "cannon fodder".

        > However, the term "krmivo" used in the document refers mostly to the feeding
        > of cattle (sometimes chickens). It doesn't not refer to pet food.

        Then I think that in the US the most common word to use would be "feed".

        > Would the "fodder" be inappropriate in this context too?

        No, but it would be less common (at least in my country).

        > > "Animal feed" = "krmivo pro zvirata" (but this is IMHO a pleonasm,
        > > of course "feed" is not for humans!)

        It may be a pleonasm, but that doesn't mean it is wrong. It's very, very common, and it doesn't sound wrong to people. It's clearer than just "feed", even though all feed is for animals. (I won't get into the discourse-based reasons why it sounds fine and is used.)

        > The problem is, even though it is clear that feed is not aimed for people,
        > IMHO, the term "animal feed" just indicates (as you translated it) that it
        > is aimed for animals, however, we don't know if the feed is made of animals
        > or plants.

        "Animal feed" does not indicate that the feed is made of animals. It just means it's for animals. If animal feed is for cows, we know it surely doesn't contain animal content. If it's for tigers, we are sure it is partly made of meat.

        >This difference is the heart of the matter here, they
        > differentiate "krmivo rostlinneho puvodu" and "krmivo zivocisneho puvodu" so

        These would be better described as "vegetable-based feed" or "grain-based feed" or "plant-based feed" (depending on how specific you can get, the last being more general) and "animal-based feed".

        Jamie
      • karel6005
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 3, 2004
          --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, Petr Veselý <veselypetr@p...>
          wrote:
          > However, the term "krmivo" used in the document refers mostly to
          the feeding of cattle (sometimes chickens). Would the "fodder" be
          inappropriate in this context too?

          Definitely. You don't feed chickens with fodder. Fodder is grass,
          alfalfa, clover, hay, silage, haylage and the like. Dairy cows
          normally eat fodder plus concentrates. Concentrates are not fodder.
          Fodder plus concentrates = feed.

          BR

          Karel
        • andeds@aol.com
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 3, 2004
            In a message dated 2/3/04 12:41:11 PM GMT Standard Time, veselypetr@...
            writes:

            << However, the term "krmivo" used in the document refers mostly to the
            feeding
            of cattle (sometimes chickens). >>

            "Feed" is the best bet.
            I wouldn't use "fodder" for chickens. Fodder is grassy stuff for grazing
            animals (in its literal sense, leaving aside all the metaphorical meanings).

            "Chicken feed" is a standard collocation, and it appears as a separate entry
            in the Oxford English Dictionary, which defines it as "food for poultry".
            (Leaving aside, once again, the metaphorical meaning, "a paltry sum of money").

            Dylan