Spiskat to - thanx to all

  • Zuzana Maritz
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 3, 2004
      Thank you Slavomir, Sarka, Kostas, Nick, TT, Michal, Beata and Martina for
      your input.
      I know my query was a bit ambiguous, but there was unfortunately not much
      context given. ‘XYZ to spiskal’ was merely a heading, followed by text
      detailing what XYZ had done and the effects thereof. So, in effect, it
      could be like you say – to blame, be responsible, to mess up, or a million
      other things (as Slavomir indicated [TT is British English])…!

      Thank you all once again.

      Best wishes,
      Zuzana

      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 4, 2004
        I know it's a bit too little too late, but only last night I was able to
        look in a dictionary of Czech "slovesne frazeologie" ("Ceska akademie ved",
        bunch of authors, late last century) that I have and have lent to a friend
        of mine. It's a Czech-Czech one, but includes translations into English,
        German, Russian, and, I think, French, and Spanish. It has 'ask for it',
        'mess it up', and 'have onself to blame' for "spiskat".

        I'd say the first one above is more like "rikat si o to" and it's most
        likely meant to mean "spiskat si [neco]", that is with a reflexive pronoun.

        Jirka Bolech

        P.S.: I've sort of lost track of which postings on this thread was on
        Czechlist and which on CzechEd. Hope this posting makes sense.