Re: [Czechlist] Menu Items (again)

    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 2, 2004
      Hi Coilin,

      2 ks Hotel varie (this is in the starters section so I have a
      > feeling it might be something like s "Selection of hotel hors-
      > doeuvres")
      Strange - the Czech does not make sense. Are u sure there are no hacky a
      carky?

      > Bramborove pusinky - duchesse potatoes (?)

      Yep. My first impulse was to go for potato duchesses, but Google convinced
      me to forget about it :-)

      > Also I presume "Plnene zampionove hlavicky smazene s varenym
      > bramborem" is something like "Stuffed fried mushroom caps with
      > boiled potatoes" and not "Stuffed mushroom caps fried with boiled
      > potatoes"
      Right again :-) The hotel manager seems to be a poor creative writer :-)

      good luck!

      > Once again I'd value some opinions on the following menu items:
      >
      > 2 ks Hotel varie (this is in the starters section so I have a
      > feeling it might be something like s "Selection of hotel hors-
      > doeuvres")
      >
      > Bramborove pusinky - duchesse potatoes (?)
      >
      > Also I presume "Plnene zampionove hlavicky smazene s varenym
      > bramborem" is something like "Stuffed fried mushroom caps with
      > boiled potatoes" and not "Stuffed mushroom caps fried with boiled
      > potatoes"
      >
      > MTIA
      > Coilin
      >

      > Potrebujete nejake hezke cteni na dobrou noc? Czechlist Users' Guide:
      >
      > http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Forum/7953/newfaq.html

      > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

    • coilinoc
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 2, 2004
        --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Martin Janda" <mjanda@g...> wrote:
        > Hi Coilin,

        Thanks Martin,

        > 2 ks Hotel varie (this is in the starters section so I have a
        > > feeling it might be something like s "Selection of hotel hors-
        > > doeuvres")
        > Strange - the Czech does not make sense. Are u sure there are no
        hacky a
        > carky?

        Yep,
        It is definitely "varie". I thought perhaps it could be a typo
        for "varia", which the Slovnik cizich slov describes as "smes
        ruznych veci"...

        Thanks again
        Coilin
      • Rubková
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 2, 2004
          Hi Coilin,

          I think you are right concerning Hotel varie, at least I would translate it
          as you did

          Sarka

          > 2 ks Hotel varie (this is in the starters section so I have a
          > > feeling it might be something like s "Selection of hotel hors-
          > > doeuvres")
          > Strange - the Czech does not make sense. Are u sure there are no
          hacky a
          > carky?

          Yep,
          It is definitely "varie". I thought perhaps it could be a typo
          for "varia", which the Slovnik cizich slov describes as "smes
          ruznych veci"...

          Thanks again
          Coilin

          Potrebujete nejake hezke cteni na dobrou noc? Czechlist Users' Guide:

          http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Forum/7953/newfaq.html

          Yahoo! Groups Links

          To visit your group on the web, go to:

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          ---
          Pøíchozí zpráva neobsahuje viry.

          ---
          Odchozí zpráva neobsahuje viry.
        • coilinoc
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 14, 2004
            Hi there,
            I have two quick menu questions for you all.

            1) Would I be right in assuming that a "vysoky veprovy steak" is
            simply a "thick" pork steak?

            2) Would I also be right in assuming that the koleno in a "pecene
            uzene koleno" would be pork (i.e. pork knuckle)

            MTIA
          • Martina Silpoch
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 14, 2004
              Agree with the roasted or baked smoked pork knee assumption, any
              other knee would be too bony and dry and beef somehow doesn't seem
              suited for smoking.
              Not sure about the thick steak though,
              M.