Menu Items (again)

  • coilinoc
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 2, 2004
      Hi folks

      Once again I'd value some opinions on the following menu items:

      2 ks Hotel varie (this is in the starters section so I have a
      feeling it might be something like s "Selection of hotel hors-
      doeuvres")

      Bramborove pusinky - duchesse potatoes (?)

      Also I presume "Plnene zampionove hlavicky smazene s varenym
      bramborem" is something like "Stuffed fried mushroom caps with
      boiled potatoes" and not "Stuffed mushroom caps fried with boiled
      potatoes"

      MTIA
      Coilin
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 2, 2004
        Hi Coilin,

        2 ks Hotel varie (this is in the starters section so I have a
        > feeling it might be something like s "Selection of hotel hors-
        > doeuvres")
        Strange - the Czech does not make sense. Are u sure there are no hacky a
        carky?

        > Bramborove pusinky - duchesse potatoes (?)

        Yep. My first impulse was to go for potato duchesses, but Google convinced
        me to forget about it :-)

        > Also I presume "Plnene zampionove hlavicky smazene s varenym
        > bramborem" is something like "Stuffed fried mushroom caps with
        > boiled potatoes" and not "Stuffed mushroom caps fried with boiled
        > potatoes"
        Right again :-) The hotel manager seems to be a poor creative writer :-)

        good luck!

        > Once again I'd value some opinions on the following menu items:
        >
        > 2 ks Hotel varie (this is in the starters section so I have a
        > feeling it might be something like s "Selection of hotel hors-
        > doeuvres")
        >
        > Bramborove pusinky - duchesse potatoes (?)
        >
        > Also I presume "Plnene zampionove hlavicky smazene s varenym
        > bramborem" is something like "Stuffed fried mushroom caps with
        > boiled potatoes" and not "Stuffed mushroom caps fried with boiled
        > potatoes"
        >
        > MTIA
        > Coilin
        >

        > Potrebujete nejake hezke cteni na dobrou noc? Czechlist Users' Guide:
        >
        > http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Forum/7953/newfaq.html

        > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • coilinoc
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 2, 2004
          --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Martin Janda" <mjanda@g...> wrote:
          > Hi Coilin,

          Thanks Martin,

          > 2 ks Hotel varie (this is in the starters section so I have a
          > > feeling it might be something like s "Selection of hotel hors-
          > > doeuvres")
          > Strange - the Czech does not make sense. Are u sure there are no
          hacky a
          > carky?

          Yep,
          It is definitely "varie". I thought perhaps it could be a typo
          for "varia", which the Slovnik cizich slov describes as "smes
          ruznych veci"...

          Thanks again
          Coilin
        • Rubková
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 2, 2004
            Hi Coilin,

            I think you are right concerning Hotel varie, at least I would translate it
            as you did

            Sarka

            > 2 ks Hotel varie (this is in the starters section so I have a
            > > feeling it might be something like s "Selection of hotel hors-
            > > doeuvres")
            > Strange - the Czech does not make sense. Are u sure there are no
            hacky a
            > carky?

            Yep,
            It is definitely "varie". I thought perhaps it could be a typo
            for "varia", which the Slovnik cizich slov describes as "smes
            ruznych veci"...

            Thanks again
            Coilin

            Potrebujete nejake hezke cteni na dobrou noc? Czechlist Users' Guide:

            http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Forum/7953/newfaq.html

            Yahoo! Groups Links

            To visit your group on the web, go to:

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            ---
            Pøíchozí zpráva neobsahuje viry.

            ---
            Odchozí zpráva neobsahuje viry.
          • coilinoc
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 14, 2004
              Hi there,
              I have two quick menu questions for you all.

              1) Would I be right in assuming that a "vysoky veprovy steak" is
              simply a "thick" pork steak?

              2) Would I also be right in assuming that the koleno in a "pecene
              uzene koleno" would be pork (i.e. pork knuckle)

              MTIA
            • Martina Silpoch
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 14, 2004
                Agree with the roasted or baked smoked pork knee assumption, any
                other knee would be too bony and dry and beef somehow doesn't seem
                suited for smoking.
                Not sure about the thick steak though,
                M.