Re: [Czechlist] Spiskat to

  • Terminus Technicus
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 2, 2004
      It could be about a million things if you're looking for slang.. give us a
      few sentences around and target audience (Br, AM, Oz, etc. English?) if you
      want specific stuff..

      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 2, 2004
        Hi Zuzana,

        It really means nothing else but what has been suggested by Sarka - "he is
        responsible for it" or "he HAS caused it" depending on context.

        Further inspiration:
        Sam si si to spiskal. You have asked for it. You have only yourself to
        blame.
        Co si to zase spiskal? What have you done?

        Slavomir

        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 2, 2004
          > Would anyone know the best translation into English of the above
          term?
          > Context: `Nekdo to spiskal'.
          > I couldn't find the word in any slang dictionaries, nor in the List
          > archives. Could it be something like someone `botched it up,
          messed up,
          > committed a faux pas", or rather that someone is `to blame, guilty
          or to pay
          > for' …?
          >
          > Thanx in advance.
          > Zuzana

          I think "to bust it" is used quite often.

          Kostas
        • Zuzana Maritz
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 3, 2004
            Thank you Slavomir, Sarka, Kostas, Nick, TT, Michal, Beata and Martina for
            your input.
            I know my query was a bit ambiguous, but there was unfortunately not much
            context given. ‘XYZ to spiskal’ was merely a heading, followed by text
            detailing what XYZ had done and the effects thereof. So, in effect, it
            could be like you say – to blame, be responsible, to mess up, or a million
            other things (as Slavomir indicated [TT is British English])…!

            Thank you all once again.

            Best wishes,
            Zuzana

            Would anyone know the best translation into English of the above term?
            Context: ‘Nekdo to spiskal’.
            I couldn’t find the word in any slang dictionaries, nor in the List
            archives. Could it be something like someone ‘botched it up, messed up,
            committed a faux pas”, or rather that someone is ‘to blame, guilty or to pay
            for’ …?

            Thanx in advance.
            Zuzana

            Don't forget! The CzechEd Resources page at http://www.geocities.com/CzechEd
            has the Web's largest collection of links to on-line resources for
            translators of or into Czech & Slovak.

            _____

            Yahoo! Groups Links

            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 4, 2004
              I know it's a bit too little too late, but only last night I was able to
              look in a dictionary of Czech "slovesne frazeologie" ("Ceska akademie ved",
              bunch of authors, late last century) that I have and have lent to a friend
              of mine. It's a Czech-Czech one, but includes translations into English,
              German, Russian, and, I think, French, and Spanish. It has 'ask for it',
              'mess it up', and 'have onself to blame' for "spiskat".

              I'd say the first one above is more like "rikat si o to" and it's most
              likely meant to mean "spiskat si [neco]", that is with a reflexive pronoun.

              Jirka Bolech

              P.S.: I've sort of lost track of which postings on this thread was on
              Czechlist and which on CzechEd. Hope this posting makes sense.