Spiskat to

  • Zuzana Maritz
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 2, 2004
      Hi all listers,

      Would anyone know the best translation into English of the above term?
      Context: ‘Nekdo to spiskal’.
      I couldn’t find the word in any slang dictionaries, nor in the List
      archives. Could it be something like someone ‘botched it up, messed up,
      committed a faux pas”, or rather that someone is ‘to blame, guilty or to pay
      for’ …?

      Thanx in advance.
      Zuzana

    • Terminus Technicus
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 2, 2004
        It could be about a million things if you're looking for slang.. give us a
        few sentences around and target audience (Br, AM, Oz, etc. English?) if you
        want specific stuff..

        Would anyone know the best translation into English of the above term?
        Context: 'Nekdo to spiskal'.
        I couldn't find the word in any slang dictionaries, nor in the List
        archives. Could it be something like someone 'botched it up, messed up,
        committed a faux pas", or rather that someone is 'to blame, guilty or to pay
        for' .?

        Thanx in advance.
        Zuzana

        Potrebujete nejake hezke cteni na dobrou noc? Czechlist Users' Guide:

        http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Forum/7953/newfaq.html

        Yahoo! Groups Links

        To visit your group on the web, go to:

        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
      • Slavomir BELIS
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 2, 2004
          Hi Zuzana,

          It really means nothing else but what has been suggested by Sarka - "he is
          responsible for it" or "he HAS caused it" depending on context.

          Further inspiration:
          Sam si si to spiskal. You have asked for it. You have only yourself to
          blame.
          Co si to zase spiskal? What have you done?

          Slavomir

          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 2, 2004
            > Would anyone know the best translation into English of the above
            term?
            > Context: `Nekdo to spiskal'.
            > I couldn't find the word in any slang dictionaries, nor in the List
            > archives. Could it be something like someone `botched it up,
            messed up,
            > committed a faux pas", or rather that someone is `to blame, guilty
            or to pay
            > for' …?
            >
            > Thanx in advance.
            > Zuzana

            I think "to bust it" is used quite often.

            Kostas
          • Zuzana Maritz
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 3, 2004
              Thank you Slavomir, Sarka, Kostas, Nick, TT, Michal, Beata and Martina for
              your input.
              I know my query was a bit ambiguous, but there was unfortunately not much
              context given. ‘XYZ to spiskal’ was merely a heading, followed by text
              detailing what XYZ had done and the effects thereof. So, in effect, it
              could be like you say – to blame, be responsible, to mess up, or a million
              other things (as Slavomir indicated [TT is British English])…!

              Thank you all once again.

              Best wishes,
              Zuzana

              Would anyone know the best translation into English of the above term?
              Context: ‘Nekdo to spiskal’.
              I couldn’t find the word in any slang dictionaries, nor in the List
              archives. Could it be something like someone ‘botched it up, messed up,
              committed a faux pas”, or rather that someone is ‘to blame, guilty or to pay
              for’ …?

              Thanx in advance.
              Zuzana

              Don't forget! The CzechEd Resources page at http://www.geocities.com/CzechEd
              has the Web's largest collection of links to on-line resources for
              translators of or into Czech & Slovak.

              _____

              Yahoo! Groups Links

              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 4, 2004
                I know it's a bit too little too late, but only last night I was able to
                look in a dictionary of Czech "slovesne frazeologie" ("Ceska akademie ved",
                bunch of authors, late last century) that I have and have lent to a friend
                of mine. It's a Czech-Czech one, but includes translations into English,
                German, Russian, and, I think, French, and Spanish. It has 'ask for it',
                'mess it up', and 'have onself to blame' for "spiskat".

                I'd say the first one above is more like "rikat si o to" and it's most
                likely meant to mean "spiskat si [neco]", that is with a reflexive pronoun.

                Jirka Bolech

                P.S.: I've sort of lost track of which postings on this thread was on
                Czechlist and which on CzechEd. Hope this posting makes sense.