Re: baby Ford

    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 31, 2004
      --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "robert_s_morrison" <robert_s_morrison@y...> wrote:
      > Hi Michaela,
      >
      > Sorry this reply is coming so late... It is actually blue "pre-war
      > baby" Ford, and not pre-war "baby Ford". This phrase means that is
      > a Ford made before World War II.

      Hi Robert,

      Nice to see you on the list. Interesting interpretation you have there, but I'm not entirely convinced because there are so many mentions of 'Baby Ford' on Google in connection with diminutive versions of the car (seems there's some kind of Acid House band called 'Baby Ford' too). I even found a couple of sites that refer to a "Model Y Baby Ford" or "Baby Ford Y 8HP" produced back in 1932-1933:

      http://members.xoom.virgilio.it/norvegia/gratt_00.htm

      http://members.xoom.virgilio.it/norvegia/gratt_01.htm

      http://www.wnsstamps.ch/en/search?country=CY&year=2003

      though I rather doubt that this is an 'official' name, and my impression after browsing around a bit is that 'baby Ford' is sometimes used loosely with a general diminutive meaning and without necessarily referring to any particular model. BTW IMHO 'fordka' could refer to any Ford but 'fordik' more adequately suggests diminutive size.

      M.
    • robert_s_morrison
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 2, 2004
        > Hi Robert,
        >
        > Nice to see you on the list. Interesting interpretation you have
        there, but I'm not entirely convinced because there are so many
        mentions of 'Baby Ford' on Google in connection with diminutive
        versions of the car (seems there's some kind of Acid House band
        called 'Baby Ford' too). I even found a couple of sites that refer to
        a "Model Y Baby Ford" or "Baby Ford Y 8HP" produced back in 1932-1933:

        > http://members.xoom.virgilio.it/norvegia/gratt_00.htm
        >
        > http://members.xoom.virgilio.it/norvegia/gratt_01.htm
        >
        > http://www.wnsstamps.ch/en/search?country=CY&year=2003
        >

        > though I rather doubt that this is an 'official' name, and my
        impression after browsing around a bit is that 'baby Ford' is
        sometimes used loosely with a general diminutive meaning and without
        necessarily referring to any particular model. BTW IMHO 'fordka'
        could refer to any Ford but 'fordik' more adequately suggests
        diminutive size.

        > M.

        Point well taken, Melvyn. I can see this is going to be a lively and
        interesting discussion group. It was the juxtaposition of "pre-war"
        and "baby" that originally lead me to my interpretation. "Pre-war
        baby" is a fairly common phrase with the meaning I mentioned. I also
        Googled to verify that my impression was correct. "pre-war baby Ford"
        yields no results (as expected, or else Michaela would not have asked
        her question), while "pre-war baby" yields four pages of results with
        the meaning I pointed out. "baby ford" yields many pages of results,
        but mostly about the musical group (first 15 pages or so). So it is
        still possible that the little "fordik" is just a normal
        Ford "veteran"... :-)
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 2, 2004

          > Point well taken, Melvyn. I can see this is going to be a lively
          and interesting discussion group.

          I'm sure it's going to be. :-}

          > "Pre-war baby" is a fairly common phrase with the meaning I
          mentioned [snip] "pre-war baby" yields four pages of results with
          > the meaning I pointed out.

          OK you've caught me in a nit-picky mood. :-)

          I make it a mere 30 hits. And how many of them include "pre-war
          baby" as an adjectival phrase for a tangible inanimate object (where
          Baby is not capitalized to show it collocates with the subsequent
          capitalized noun)? Zero. I mean a pre-war baby hoover or pre-war
          baby Singer sewing machine in your sense is not entirely beyond the
          bounds of possibility in some styles but such usage strikes me as
          rather odd and unlikely, especially in this case where 'baby Ford'
          is such a well-established phrase in some circles that it serves as
          a name for a modern band.

          I suppose that somebody could be trying to play some kind of
          subliminal 'word association football' by fusing two different
          collocations, but considering the relative rarity of 'pre-war baby'
          mentioned above, I find this again to be rather unlikely and in any
          case I would argue that the diminutive/expressive effect of 'baby'
          still has to be accounted for in translation.

          BTW I believe the Model Y was meant to be primarily for the European
          market and I notice that this usage of 'Baby Ford' does seem to crop
          up more in texts from mainland Europe (and Ireland - note Henry Ford
          set up shop early in Ireland) than those from the US. I once
          translated the first draft of a 400+ page book from the US on the
          life and times of Henry Ford and there was no mention there of
          a 'baby Ford' car, so maybe this American/European thing partly
          explains our different constructions.

          BTW ah sho uz heyull appreshate yuh lessuns in hah tuh speyk
          Alabamuh English. Ham ah deuin? Hope ahm not strayin into "oh
          Suzanna oh don't you cry for me" tertuhry. :-)