Re: [Czechlist] Re: Holiday quiz (was: Ulysses S. Grant)

  • Petr Veselý
    Message 1 of 36 , Jan 2, 2004
      > I suppose you win brownie points for your creative and imaginative
      thinking but no shandy, I'm afraid. The reason you will never visit it is
      that AS YOU APPROACH IT DISS APPEARS.

      I should have known that "the burried dog" is sth. completely different but
      I did not expect such a poor trick.
      Strictly speaking, it this case the town actually appears. Only if I either
      heard the joke or the town renamed to Dis you would be right with the Dis
      appearing. So there exists certain legitimate claim to the bottle of shandy
      from my part and I will consult my lawyer to see what my chances in
      possible legal proceedings would be.
      However, even if I finally won the ligitation, due to the infamous rate of
      work of our courts, I would probably enjoy the beer as an old man. So I
      generously give up this matter and I will rather try to win the shandy some
      time in future again.

      Did you enjoy your stay in Norfolk? Few problems with mad cow disease then?

      I was there six years ago and at that time the cows were still happily
      consuming meat powder, not knowing of their sad future yet. To be honest, I
      did not particularly like it there, the countryside reminded me of the
      agricultural region where I live, only the pleasant parts (meaning the
      vinyards) were missing. Fields, fields nothing but fields, compared to Kent
      where I had worked before. But I spent there only a couple of months and I
      saw only a small part of Norfolk, the area around King's Lynn, the remaining
      part is surely a paradise, which I didn't have the opportunity to see and I
      thus have a completely wrong picture of East Anglia in my memories. :)))

      Petr
    • Joe Janecka
      Message 36 of 36 , Jan 4, 2004
        On Sat, 3 Jan 2004 10:40:34 +0100, you wrote:

        >Hubicka is an old word, and polite. Not used today, but still has definitely
        >nothing in common with todays huba!! :-)
        >Some word has changed over last 50-100 years, one of them is holka (girl),
        >today most widely used, but in the 20´ only the lower cast used it (it
        >propably comes from holá), but every proper guy had a devce. So it seems
        >like common speech of later decades is being accepted as polite and polite
        >speech is slowly forgotten.
        >For this reason, the way some immigrants speak today (in Romania etc.) may
        >seem a little fit funny, but in fact, it is very nice that they kept their
        >native language and very good for them, because many people tend to forget
        >and it is no easy to keep two languages alive. :-)
        >I used to have relatives in Chicago/Berwyn, and they spoke Czech at home
        >until schoolmates of their boy laughed at him that he didnt know how to say
        >zinka/washrag in English.
        >Gabriela

        Many thanks Gabriela,

        That is a wonderful explanation. I agree that the old, polite
        versions sound so much better. I've always liked to use the
        expression "dej mi hubicku" rather than "dej mi pusu". It just sounds
        much more intimate. I was quite taken aback when told that 'dej mi
        hubicku' meant "kiss my snout". Now I can go back to using the old
        phrase and feel good about it. Also devce instead of holka. Much more
        intimate sounding.

        I am so glad you set me straight.

        Na Shledanou,
        Josef