Re: [Czechlist] Re: US Czechs

  • JPKIRCHNER@aol.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 1, 2004
      In a message dated 1/1/04 8:05:23 PM, Zemedelec@... writes:

      >The older generation of Cajuns (Acadiens) were discouraged from speaking
      >their own distinctive dialect when they went to school. Now the younger
      people,
      >Cajun and Creoles, are pushing for a revival. There might be more young
      people
      >who speak or understand Creole French in the black community of NO than
      >there are aging Cajuns out in the swamps and small towns.

      There used to be a short-wave radio station in New Orleans that had normal
      American call letters, and it did quite a bit of broadcasting in French, but the
      speech was more or less standard. Is that still on?

      Have you ever heard Rockin' Dopsey's creole rendition of Fats Domino's "I'm
      Walkin'"? Very fascinating for anyone interested in pidgins and creoles. It
      starts out, "Ma maché ... ma palé..." Some times I sing one of his other
      creole songs for the amusement of the West Africans in my classes.

      Jamie
    • Martina Silpoch
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 2, 2004
        Pretty close Melvy, but no cigar..or a shanty or whatever other
        concoctions you might enjoy

        > I hear you have a Bohemia Hill there too.
        >Yes, we do, but not as famous as The Hill,meaning Italian part of
        town

        > There is one thing though, that put St. Louis
        > > ahead of other US cities as far as Czech history is concerned.
        > > Should be a pretty easy one for you guys...

        > John Nepomuk Church, Eleventh St., St. Louis, MO. was
        founded in 1854, serving the "Bohemian" immigrant population. It
        claims the
        title of "First Czech Catholic Church in the United States".

        Those Czechs landed in New Orleans, only to find it nasty, humid,
        hot, uninhabitable, so they moved up Mississippi...only to end up in
        another humid, hot French town:) As long as they knew what they
        wanted...proti gustu zadnej disputat.

        > a) the first Sokol society in the New World was formed in St.
        Louis in 1865.

        > b) the great Josephine Baker*, who was born and brought up in St.
        Louis, visited Prague for some time in the 1930s. I was reading
        about it recently in the memoirs of Otakar Storch-Marien.

        Here we may get into serious celebrity hunt...maybe some other
        time..
        > M.
        >
        > do you hear much French in your part of the world?
        Sorry, no French anymore, but go to Bohemian Hill to hear plenty of
        Bosnian, Croatian, Vietnamese, black whatever language it is (no
        offense)...and don't forget to keep your car doors locked!

      • Zemedelec@aol.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 2, 2004
          In a message dated 1/1/04 23:46:32, JPKIRCHNER@... writes:

          > There used to be a short-wave radio station in New Orleans that had normal
          > American call letters, and it did quite a bit of broadcasting in French, but
          > the
          > speech was more or less standard.  Is that still on?

          Not that I know of, but I just range around FM with occasional excursions
          into AM. On the weekend 90.7 has a program of Cajun and country music, with the
          DJ's comments in Cajun. Don't know if he's a native speaker; I can understand
          it from my college French.

          Leslie