US Czechs

  • Martina Silpoch
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 1, 2004
      Well, we are not as famous as Texas or Nebraska, all we have here
      is Prague Ave, Danube Dr. and a dozen streets named few decades ago
      after resident Czechs. There is one thing though, that put St. Louis
      ahead of other US cities as far as Czech history is concerned.
      Should be a pretty easy one for you guys...
      Martina
    • Joe Janecka
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 1, 2004
        On Thu, 01 Jan 2004 22:32:24 -0000, you wrote:

        >Well, we are not as famous as Texas or Nebraska, all we  have here
        >is  Prague Ave, Danube Dr. and a dozen streets named few decades ago
        >after resident Czechs. There is one thing though, that put St. Louis
        >ahead of other US cities as far as Czech history is concerned.
        >Should be a pretty easy one for you guys...
        >Martina

        I know...................................

        My cousin Jerry lives there!

        Do I get a beer for this one too?

        Na Shledanou,
        Josef
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 1, 2004
          --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Martina Silpoch" <mmsilpoch@e...> wrote:
          > Well, we are not as famous as Texas or Nebraska, all we have here
          > is Prague Ave, Danube Dr. and a dozen streets named few decades ago
          > after resident Czechs.

          I hear you have a Bohemia Hill there too.

          There is one thing though, that put St. Louis
          > ahead of other US cities as far as Czech history is concerned.
          > Should be a pretty easy one for you guys...

          a) the first Sokol society in the New World was formed in St. Louis in 1865.

          b) the great Josephine Baker*, who was born and brought up in St. Louis, visited Prague for some time in the 1930s. I was reading about it recently in the memoirs of Otakar Storch-Marien.

          M.

          * Famous for the following song inter alia - do you hear much French in your part of the world? I presume Leslie down in the swamp :-) there does...

          J'ai deux amours
          Mon pays et Paris
          Par eux toujours
          Mon coeur est ravi
          Ma savane est belle
          Mais a quoi bon le nier
          Ce qui m'ensorcelle
          C'est Paris, Paris tout entier
          Le voir un jour
          C'est mon reve joli
          J'ai deux amours
          Mon pays et Paris
        • Zemedelec@aol.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 1, 2004
            In a message dated 1/1/04 18:17:48, zehrovak@... writes:

            > do you hear much French in your part of the world? I presume Leslie down in
            > the swamp :-) there does...

            Actually I don't--as far as complete sentences or conversations are
            concerned. Quite a few Creole or Cajun words get somewhat anglicized then incorporated
            in daily speech.
            The older generation of Cajuns (Acadiens) were discouraged from speaking
            their own distinctive dialect when they went to school. Now the younger people,
            Cajun and Creoles, are pushing for a revival. There might be more young people
            who speak or understand Creole French in the black community of NO than there
            are aging Cajuns out in the swamps and small towns.

            Leslie

          • JPKIRCHNER@aol.com
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 1, 2004
              In a message dated 1/1/04 8:05:23 PM, Zemedelec@... writes:

              >The older generation of Cajuns (Acadiens) were discouraged from speaking
              >their own distinctive dialect when they went to school. Now the younger
              people,
              >Cajun and Creoles, are pushing for a revival. There might be more young
              people
              >who speak or understand Creole French in the black community of NO than
              >there are aging Cajuns out in the swamps and small towns.

              There used to be a short-wave radio station in New Orleans that had normal
              American call letters, and it did quite a bit of broadcasting in French, but the
              speech was more or less standard. Is that still on?

              Have you ever heard Rockin' Dopsey's creole rendition of Fats Domino's "I'm
              Walkin'"? Very fascinating for anyone interested in pidgins and creoles. It
              starts out, "Ma maché ... ma palé..." Some times I sing one of his other
              creole songs for the amusement of the West Africans in my classes.

              Jamie
            • Martina Silpoch
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 2, 2004
                Pretty close Melvy, but no cigar..or a shanty or whatever other
                concoctions you might enjoy

                > I hear you have a Bohemia Hill there too.
                >Yes, we do, but not as famous as The Hill,meaning Italian part of
                town

                > There is one thing though, that put St. Louis
                > > ahead of other US cities as far as Czech history is concerned.
                > > Should be a pretty easy one for you guys...

                > John Nepomuk Church, Eleventh St., St. Louis, MO. was
                founded in 1854, serving the "Bohemian" immigrant population. It
                claims the
                title of "First Czech Catholic Church in the United States".

                Those Czechs landed in New Orleans, only to find it nasty, humid,
                hot, uninhabitable, so they moved up Mississippi...only to end up in
                another humid, hot French town:) As long as they knew what they
                wanted...proti gustu zadnej disputat.

                > a) the first Sokol society in the New World was formed in St.
                Louis in 1865.

                > b) the great Josephine Baker*, who was born and brought up in St.
                Louis, visited Prague for some time in the 1930s. I was reading
                about it recently in the memoirs of Otakar Storch-Marien.

                Here we may get into serious celebrity hunt...maybe some other
                time..
                > M.
                >
                > do you hear much French in your part of the world?
                Sorry, no French anymore, but go to Bohemian Hill to hear plenty of
                Bosnian, Croatian, Vietnamese, black whatever language it is (no
                offense)...and don't forget to keep your car doors locked!

              • Zemedelec@aol.com
                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 2, 2004
                  In a message dated 1/1/04 23:46:32, JPKIRCHNER@... writes:

                  > There used to be a short-wave radio station in New Orleans that had normal
                  > American call letters, and it did quite a bit of broadcasting in French, but
                  > the
                  > speech was more or less standard.  Is that still on?

                  Not that I know of, but I just range around FM with occasional excursions
                  into AM. On the weekend 90.7 has a program of Cajun and country music, with the
                  DJ's comments in Cajun. Don't know if he's a native speaker; I can understand
                  it from my college French.

                  Leslie