Re: [Czechlist] Holiday quiz (was: Ulysses S. Grant)

  • Petr Veselý
    Message 1 of 36 , Jan 1, 2004
      > Hi Melvyn,
      > Googling skills: There is a town in East Anglia called Diss but you will
      > never be able to visit it. Why not?

      I suppose I have figured it out.

      Once upon a time, in 2001, there lived a clever cow in Redgrave and Lopham
      Fen, near the town of Diss. The cow did not like eating meat powder any
      longer, it wanted to have a fresh green grass instead so it started to
      salivate and limp a little bit, hoping that the farmer will change her
      diet. A few other fellow cows joined in but no change of diet occured.
      Instead, the poor cows, and a hundred of thousands of others, ceased to
      exist, tourist cannot visit the doomed region (as they could infect the few
      remaining cows) and lucky Petr, maybe, won a shandy which he has never
      tasted yet.

      Regards
      Petr
    • Joe Janecka
      Message 36 of 36 , Jan 4, 2004
        On Sat, 3 Jan 2004 10:40:34 +0100, you wrote:

        >Hubicka is an old word, and polite. Not used today, but still has definitely
        >nothing in common with todays huba!! :-)
        >Some word has changed over last 50-100 years, one of them is holka (girl),
        >today most widely used, but in the 20´ only the lower cast used it (it
        >propably comes from holá), but every proper guy had a devce. So it seems
        >like common speech of later decades is being accepted as polite and polite
        >speech is slowly forgotten.
        >For this reason, the way some immigrants speak today (in Romania etc.) may
        >seem a little fit funny, but in fact, it is very nice that they kept their
        >native language and very good for them, because many people tend to forget
        >and it is no easy to keep two languages alive. :-)
        >I used to have relatives in Chicago/Berwyn, and they spoke Czech at home
        >until schoolmates of their boy laughed at him that he didnt know how to say
        >zinka/washrag in English.
        >Gabriela

        Many thanks Gabriela,

        That is a wonderful explanation. I agree that the old, polite
        versions sound so much better. I've always liked to use the
        expression "dej mi hubicku" rather than "dej mi pusu". It just sounds
        much more intimate. I was quite taken aback when told that 'dej mi
        hubicku' meant "kiss my snout". Now I can go back to using the old
        phrase and feel good about it. Also devce instead of holka. Much more
        intimate sounding.

        I am so glad you set me straight.

        Na Shledanou,
        Josef