Holiday quiz (was: Ulysses S. Grant)

    Message 1 of 36 , Jan 1, 2004
      --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, Petr Veselý <veselypetr@p...> wrote:
      > Hi folks,
      >
      > The Melvyn's U.S. Grant quiz was quite a success here and it showed that
      > quite a few Czechlisters have competitive nature. So why not to repeat it on
      > a more or less regular basis and make a sort of competition.

      > Is it a stupid suggestion

      Yes.

      >or is it worth trying?

      Sure. But you set the questions, you provide the prizes. As I said, it is _very_ rare that you will find me in a round-buying mood. Here's one on British 'culture and civilization' to start you off and to test your nascent Googling skills: There is a town in East Anglia called Diss but you will never be able to visit it. Why not?

      I might manage a shandy if you get this one.

      Melvyn B. Clarke
    • Joe Janecka
      Message 36 of 36 , Jan 4, 2004
        On Sat, 3 Jan 2004 10:40:34 +0100, you wrote:

        >Hubicka is an old word, and polite. Not used today, but still has definitely
        >nothing in common with todays huba!! :-)
        >Some word has changed over last 50-100 years, one of them is holka (girl),
        >today most widely used, but in the 20´ only the lower cast used it (it
        >propably comes from holá), but every proper guy had a devce. So it seems
        >like common speech of later decades is being accepted as polite and polite
        >speech is slowly forgotten.
        >For this reason, the way some immigrants speak today (in Romania etc.) may
        >seem a little fit funny, but in fact, it is very nice that they kept their
        >native language and very good for them, because many people tend to forget
        >and it is no easy to keep two languages alive. :-)
        >I used to have relatives in Chicago/Berwyn, and they spoke Czech at home
        >until schoolmates of their boy laughed at him that he didnt know how to say
        >zinka/washrag in English.
        >Gabriela

        Many thanks Gabriela,

        That is a wonderful explanation. I agree that the old, polite
        versions sound so much better. I've always liked to use the
        expression "dej mi hubicku" rather than "dej mi pusu". It just sounds
        much more intimate. I was quite taken aback when told that 'dej mi
        hubicku' meant "kiss my snout". Now I can go back to using the old
        phrase and feel good about it. Also devce instead of holka. Much more
        intimate sounding.

        I am so glad you set me straight.

        Na Shledanou,
        Josef