Re: Ulysses S. Grant

    Message 1 of 36 , Jan 1, 2004

      Hi Joe,

      Had a look at your web-site and I really enjoyed the cool Czech Texan stuff. Gonna have to learn Texas Czech polka dancing. Whooee. Do you get much opportunity to speak Czech over there?

      > I accept!

      Oh good. I was worried you might start haggling about the beer-to-lemonade ratio.

      > English beverages are just fine, but don't forget that we like them
      > cold.

      Very well. I have turned off the radiators in my living room so that you can enjoy the authentic room-temperature taste which I am now about to telepathize over to you....

      > (Although that is a strange way to make lemonade.)

      What? With lemons? Why? What do you use?

      > Truth is truth,

      It only looks like that if you squint a lot. ::-)

      > I'm not one to re-write history.

      No, but you are implicitly saying that Ulysses S. Grant rewrote history, which he may well have done, of course, but then he was entitled to because it was his bl**ming name. But let's not go into all that again.

      >so I guess that became a middle name by common usage.

      Ah, is common usage a prerequisite for truth??

      > And "W" does stand for Walker in my part of the country.

      You keep Walker out of this. :-) What's he got to do with anything anyway?

      > Czech
      > language doesn't have a "W", does it?

      The web as a whole and individual websites can be referred to in Czech as 'web' or 'www' (pronounced 'veb' and 'veveve' respectively). As Petr points out, there are plenty of Czech words beginning with w but some mysteriously turn into v's overnight when nobody is looking. W leads a kind of shadowy half-existence in the Czech language. Like the S. in Ulysses S. Grant.

      -- Or an "X"

      Ale existuje, existuje.

      or "Q"?

      Kind of exists and doesn't exist. Mostly it doesn't exist but very occasionally you will see a word like quijotsky, e.g. in my Poldauf dictionary.

      > I lurk here because I'm trying to learn from the pros.

      Same here, mate.

      Best regards,

      Melvyn
    • Joe Janecka
      Message 36 of 36 , Jan 4, 2004
        On Sat, 3 Jan 2004 10:40:34 +0100, you wrote:

        >Hubicka is an old word, and polite. Not used today, but still has definitely
        >nothing in common with todays huba!! :-)
        >Some word has changed over last 50-100 years, one of them is holka (girl),
        >today most widely used, but in the 20´ only the lower cast used it (it
        >propably comes from holá), but every proper guy had a devce. So it seems
        >like common speech of later decades is being accepted as polite and polite
        >speech is slowly forgotten.
        >For this reason, the way some immigrants speak today (in Romania etc.) may
        >seem a little fit funny, but in fact, it is very nice that they kept their
        >native language and very good for them, because many people tend to forget
        >and it is no easy to keep two languages alive. :-)
        >I used to have relatives in Chicago/Berwyn, and they spoke Czech at home
        >until schoolmates of their boy laughed at him that he didnt know how to say
        >zinka/washrag in English.
        >Gabriela

        Many thanks Gabriela,

        That is a wonderful explanation. I agree that the old, polite
        versions sound so much better. I've always liked to use the
        expression "dej mi hubicku" rather than "dej mi pusu". It just sounds
        much more intimate. I was quite taken aback when told that 'dej mi
        hubicku' meant "kiss my snout". Now I can go back to using the old
        phrase and feel good about it. Also devce instead of holka. Much more
        intimate sounding.

        I am so glad you set me straight.

        Na Shledanou,
        Josef