Re: [Czechlist] Re: Ulysses S. Grant

  • Joe Janecka
    Message 1 of 36 , Dec 31, 2003
      On Wed, 31 Dec 2003 18:02:37 -0000, you wrote:

      >- Joe, while I am in a round-buying mood (very rare occurrence) I am willing to offer you a consolation prize of a pint of shandy (marvellous English beverage consisting of lemonade and beer - many Czechs gag at the very thought but it is really a fine drink). While I am not for one moment suggesting that you are right*, I feel that your argument raises interesting metaphysical questions on the nature of truth. Anyway, as Martina lives in the log-cabin ;-) next door to U. S. Grant's, I am sure she will sort me out if I have been economical with the truth in any way.

      I accept!

      English beverages are just fine, but don't forget that we like them
      cold. (Although that is a strange way to make lemonade.)

      Truth is truth, metaphysically speaking. I'm not one to re-write
      history. My history books and 'Webster's Encyclopedic Unabridged
      Dictionary of the English Language' did call the man Ulysses Simpson
      Grant, so I guess that became a middle name by common usage.
      And "W" does stand for Walker in my part of the country. Czech
      language doesn't have a "W", does it? -- Or an "X" or "Q"?

      I lurk here because I'm trying to learn from the pros.

      Well, back into my cage.

      Na Shledanou,
      Josef
    • Joe Janecka
      Message 36 of 36 , Jan 4, 2004
        On Sat, 3 Jan 2004 10:40:34 +0100, you wrote:

        >Hubicka is an old word, and polite. Not used today, but still has definitely
        >nothing in common with todays huba!! :-)
        >Some word has changed over last 50-100 years, one of them is holka (girl),
        >today most widely used, but in the 20´ only the lower cast used it (it
        >propably comes from holá), but every proper guy had a devce. So it seems
        >like common speech of later decades is being accepted as polite and polite
        >speech is slowly forgotten.
        >For this reason, the way some immigrants speak today (in Romania etc.) may
        >seem a little fit funny, but in fact, it is very nice that they kept their
        >native language and very good for them, because many people tend to forget
        >and it is no easy to keep two languages alive. :-)
        >I used to have relatives in Chicago/Berwyn, and they spoke Czech at home
        >until schoolmates of their boy laughed at him that he didnt know how to say
        >zinka/washrag in English.
        >Gabriela

        Many thanks Gabriela,

        That is a wonderful explanation. I agree that the old, polite
        versions sound so much better. I've always liked to use the
        expression "dej mi hubicku" rather than "dej mi pusu". It just sounds
        much more intimate. I was quite taken aback when told that 'dej mi
        hubicku' meant "kiss my snout". Now I can go back to using the old
        phrase and feel good about it. Also devce instead of holka. Much more
        intimate sounding.

        I am so glad you set me straight.

        Na Shledanou,
        Josef