Re: [Czechlist] TOPIC: Search strategies: (was: "Predstrihavaci zarizeni")

  • Terminus Technicus
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 3, 2003
      Others on this list have started off by saying they don't have the
      time/money to go looking for things on the internet but after a little
      patient effort they are now search-engine black-belts and at the end of the
      day, when quality is taken into account, they probably find it makes a lot
      of financial sense.

      Hail Melvyn!

      Not much to add to your Google tips and tricks, except I sometimes start off
      with the term I have in Czech, followed by one word I know the translation
      should contain, for example I searched for:

      ["inominatni smlouva" contract] the other day... I find that easier and
      broader than the .cz site approach, there are a lot of cz. sites with no
      Czech on them and a lot of .com or .edu sites with good resources in both
      English and Czech....

      The above method didn't work for innominate contract, but is usually good
      for legal/financial things where specific terms are often quoted in original
      after their Czech translation on Czech websites...

      BTW Petre, radsi to te agenture nerikej, nebo se podivi nad tim, co's delal
      doted (teda meli by...). Telecom neTelecom, az jednou nekdo uvidi
      popotahovaci stroj prelozeny jako "sniffing machine", mas po klientovi. BTW
      to byl ten duvod, proc jsem se ptal, jestli to mas z Millenia, nasel sis
      popotahovat [jenze to je cinnost, pri ktere nahrazujes kapesnik hlubokym
      nadechem a tahanim hlenu do hlavy], coz Millenium z neznameho duvodu
      preklada jako "sniff" [to je zase spis cichat, cmuchat, jako pes kdyz neco
      hleda]... no a skoncil jsi u "sniffing device", coz by byla zajimava a
      ekologicka varianta Kleenexu, ale jinak dost velky ulet...

      Takove veci se hledaj dost blbe, ale zaklad je zjistit, co to ve skutecnosti
      je, tady jde jasne o neco, co za neco taha, to, ze jde o tahani po malych
      kouscich (popotahovani) je az druhotne a v Anglictine se vetsinou takove
      drobne nuance neprojevi (ostatne ten cesky vyraz je silne netechnicky a
      zavani "intercompany lingo")... takze zacit od nejakeho tahani a nejlepe si
      najit soucasti profilovaci linky na website nejakeho jejich vyrobce...

      A dneska uz neni nikdo zavisly na dial-up(u), pokud nemas v miste kabel a
      ani spravne cislo na ADSL, coz jsou dve nejlevnejsi varianty, jdi do
      bezdratu, Eurotelu non-stop, satelitu, mikrovlny, wifi, nebo cehokoli jineho
      neomezeneho casem.

    • Mike Trittipo
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 3, 2003
        Terminus Technicus wrote:

        > . . . a v Anglictine se vetsinou takove
        >drobne nuance neprojevi . . ..

        That's a troll, right? :-)
      • Terminus Technicus
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 4, 2003
          > That's a troll, right? :-)

          Yes and no...

          I was just trying to explain that looking up "popotahovat" in a Czech
          dictionary as bad as Millenium may not get you where you are going in this
          case... which did happen to Petr... and that it's better to start looking
          for something tdo with profiling lines and pulling...

          IMHO technical english will generally call anything like this (pulling by
          small bits) just pulling, but I'll be glad to hear otherwise - fill me in.

          Matej