Re: [Czechlist] "Predstrihavaci zarizeni" THANKS

  • Petr Veselý
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 29, 2003
      Thanks Matej,

      for your verification, suggestions and especially the links so that I could
      check it.

      > Ty tvoje polotovary jsou z Millenia, ze??

      yes, though it has many drawbacks, I still believe that it is the best
      electronic tool available and it helps me a lot.
      Due to Telecom's "generous" internet fees I do not standardly use Google for
      terminology searches. I know I should. I promise to make this my New Year's
      Eve resolution for 2004. Anyway, do you use any special strategies for
      Google term searches or you just write the words and the engine will do the
      rest?

      Pete

      > > - profilovaci linka - roll forming line most probably, see :
      >
      > http://www.dassnagar.com/dpe_Cstudy1.html
      >
      > > - predstrihavaci zarizeni - pre-shearing device/equipment
      >
      > sounds OK, but check below
      >
      > > - letma strihaci jednotka - flying cutting unit/machine
      >
      > not sure
      >
      > > - popotahovací zarizeni - ???sniffing device???
      >
      > certainly not, ledasky ze bys chtel stroj, ktery by za tebe tahal hleny z
      > nosu, kdyz nemas kapesnik
      >
      > pulling device is the obvious solution, but check below
      >

      > > - sroubovy lis - fly press?
      >
      > probably yes, see:

      http://images.google.com/images?hl=cs&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=fly+press&sa=N&tab
      =wi&lr=

      > > - odvijeci buben - unwinding drum
      >
      > Seems this fits cable manufacturing/application more than rolling profiles
      > context, see:

      http://images.google.com/images?hl=cs&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=unwinding+drum&sa=
      N&tab=wi&lr=

      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 1, 2003
        --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, Petr Veselý <veselypetr@p...> wrote:

        > Due to Telecom's "generous" internet fees I do not standardly use Google for
        > terminology searches. I know I should. I promise to make this my New Year's
        > Eve resolution for 2004.

        :-)

        >Anyway, do you use any special strategies for Google term searches or you just write the words and the engine will do the rest?

        Here's a couple of Google-hunting tips to get you on your way, Petr:

        Use inverted commas "..." to keep words together, e.g. "Petr Vesely" rather than Petr Vesely without the inverted commas.

        Use the * sign as a joker card for single words. Very handy for seeking out collocations, e.g. "Byl * vecer, prvni maj" should give you the full first line of the poem.

        Use the + sign to 'force' Google to seek the little words it would otherwise leave out, e.g. +from +to

        When you are looking for definitions, add words like 'glossary', 'terminology', etc to your search term.

        Add characteristic context words to your search term, e.g. "byl pozdni vecer" Macha.

        If you are looking for a Czech equivalent of an English word, add site:.cz to the word or go into the advanced search section and set the language to Czech. Can't guarantee the quality of results but you will occasionally find suggested equivalents, which you can then check out elsewhere.

        If you are looking for some manufactured product, find out which company makes it and chase the word up in that company's pages by using characteristic context words that you already know.

        Intuition plays a major role and you really do have to play around with the search engines a good bit before you acquire the knack of correctly guessing how some guy out there has used your vocabulary problem in a revealing context. Get into the habit of trying many alternatives rapidly in succession. Get into a 'word association' mental flow where one alternative immediately suggests another...

        Others on this list have started off by saying they don't have the time/money to go looking for things on the internet but after a little patient effort they are now search-engine black-belts and at the end of the day, when quality is taken into account, they probably find it makes a lot of financial sense.

      • Terminus Technicus
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 3, 2003
          Others on this list have started off by saying they don't have the
          time/money to go looking for things on the internet but after a little
          patient effort they are now search-engine black-belts and at the end of the
          day, when quality is taken into account, they probably find it makes a lot
          of financial sense.

          Hail Melvyn!

          Not much to add to your Google tips and tricks, except I sometimes start off
          with the term I have in Czech, followed by one word I know the translation
          should contain, for example I searched for:

          ["inominatni smlouva" contract] the other day... I find that easier and
          broader than the .cz site approach, there are a lot of cz. sites with no
          Czech on them and a lot of .com or .edu sites with good resources in both
          English and Czech....

          The above method didn't work for innominate contract, but is usually good
          for legal/financial things where specific terms are often quoted in original
          after their Czech translation on Czech websites...

          BTW Petre, radsi to te agenture nerikej, nebo se podivi nad tim, co's delal
          doted (teda meli by...). Telecom neTelecom, az jednou nekdo uvidi
          popotahovaci stroj prelozeny jako "sniffing machine", mas po klientovi. BTW
          to byl ten duvod, proc jsem se ptal, jestli to mas z Millenia, nasel sis
          popotahovat [jenze to je cinnost, pri ktere nahrazujes kapesnik hlubokym
          nadechem a tahanim hlenu do hlavy], coz Millenium z neznameho duvodu
          preklada jako "sniff" [to je zase spis cichat, cmuchat, jako pes kdyz neco
          hleda]... no a skoncil jsi u "sniffing device", coz by byla zajimava a
          ekologicka varianta Kleenexu, ale jinak dost velky ulet...

          Takove veci se hledaj dost blbe, ale zaklad je zjistit, co to ve skutecnosti
          je, tady jde jasne o neco, co za neco taha, to, ze jde o tahani po malych
          kouscich (popotahovani) je az druhotne a v Anglictine se vetsinou takove
          drobne nuance neprojevi (ostatne ten cesky vyraz je silne netechnicky a
          zavani "intercompany lingo")... takze zacit od nejakeho tahani a nejlepe si
          najit soucasti profilovaci linky na website nejakeho jejich vyrobce...

          A dneska uz neni nikdo zavisly na dial-up(u), pokud nemas v miste kabel a
          ani spravne cislo na ADSL, coz jsou dve nejlevnejsi varianty, jdi do
          bezdratu, Eurotelu non-stop, satelitu, mikrovlny, wifi, nebo cehokoli jineho
          neomezeneho casem.

        • Mike Trittipo
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 3, 2003
            Terminus Technicus wrote:

            > . . . a v Anglictine se vetsinou takove
            >drobne nuance neprojevi . . ..

            That's a troll, right? :-)
          • Terminus Technicus
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 4, 2003
              > That's a troll, right? :-)

              Yes and no...

              I was just trying to explain that looking up "popotahovat" in a Czech
              dictionary as bad as Millenium may not get you where you are going in this
              case... which did happen to Petr... and that it's better to start looking
              for something tdo with profiling lines and pulling...

              IMHO technical english will generally call anything like this (pulling by
              small bits) just pulling, but I'll be glad to hear otherwise - fill me in.

              Matej