Re: Pusobnost

  • Paul Sinclair
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 15, 1999
      Hello Vit,
      for pusobnost pravni normy I'd say force, effect, [scope of] application, applicability of the law; osobni pusobnost = personal competence, authority, authorization, powers; mistni pusobnost = local, territorial jurisdiction; casova pusobnost perhaps effect in time & vecna pusobnost simply effect. Does this fit any of your contexts?
      Regards,
      Paul
    • Melvyn Clarke
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 15, 1999
        Hi Vit,

        >How would you tackle an English translation of the Czech word: "p�sobnost"?
        >It pops up in legal documents and concordances such as: "p�sobnost pr�vn�
        >normy, p�sobnost osobn�, m�stn�, �asov�, v�cn�".

        A few ideas:
        P�sobnost z�kona - Scope of the Act
        Soudn� p�sobnost - jurisdiction
        elsewhere depending on context: (personal, geographic, temporal, material)
        area of authority, area of competence,
        area of responsibility, province, field, operation, range -

        I reckon this comes under Paul Sinclair's area of competence if only he
        could get through to us...send us a # if you agree, Paul.

        This being a real translation puzzle (teaser, even "stinker",

        Nice one.

        >Message for Melvyn, in particular: Referring to the chat we had the other
        >day about "verbal thinking", I have made some research on the issue.
        >Indeed, in Anglo-Saxon psycholinguistics, no such thing seems to exist
        >explicitly, and appears to be implicit, co-existing with "thinking in
        >images". This very idea seems to be more familiar to German region (Karel
        >Buhler, e. g.) and transduced to Czech from German. Still, I believe the
        >gray ("twilight") zone between the process of thoughts and its
        >transformation into multi-culture environment, as an essence of translating
        >process, deserves some attention.

        Cripes. I thought the alcohol was going to my head rather quickly that
        evening but now I realize the cause of my cross-eyed incomprehension. I just
        can't handle German psycholinguistics after 7 pm.
        Mind you, talking of abysses, I reckon that many translators are workaholics
        because they get _addicted_ to staring into the great chasm, the heart of
        ambiguity at the very core of life that yawns in the interstices of
        language.
        :L
        Start worrying when the abyss starts staring back at you.

        Must get together for a drink again some time soon, Vit.

        Melvyn
      • Paul Sinclair
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 16, 1999
          Hello everybody,
          I actually responded to Vit's question about "pusobnost" yesterday, but I didn't use the right address and the thing just got sucked into a sort of existential chasm. Are messages sent to the whole list to be addressed to Czechlist@onelist.com ?

          For pusobnost pravni normy I'd say force, effect, [scope of] application, applicability of the law; osobni pusobnost = personal competence, authority, authorization, powers, purview; mistni pusobnost = local, territorial jurisdiction; casova pusobnost temporary effect; vecna pusobnost simply effect. Do these fit your contexts?
          Regards,
          Paul