discount brokers

  • Michal Ginter
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 4, 2003
      Hi all,

      what do "discount brokers" do? Do they provide brokerage of
      discounted goods/services, or do they provide brokerage cheaply?

      I have checked a couple of websites, and remain uncertain.
      Thanks for any advice you may have.

      Michal
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 4, 2003
        Come on, Michal! I've got the definition at the first Google search :-)

        Discount broker
        A brokerage house featuring relatively low commission rates in comparison to
        a full-service broker.

        http://www.clarendonsecurities.com/cs_glossary.htm

        HTH

        > what do "discount brokers" do? Do they provide brokerage of
        > discounted goods/services, or do they provide brokerage cheaply?
        >
        > I have checked a couple of websites, and remain uncertain.
        > Thanks for any advice you may have.
        >
        > Michal
        >

        > Visit the Czechlist Homepage at: http://www.bohemica.com/czechtranslation

      • Jaroslav Hejzlar
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 4, 2003
          Hello, Michal!
          My Dictionary of Business English by J. H. Adam (Longman) says that "dicount broker" is the same as "bill-broker" and gives the following definition: smenecný dohodce, senzál, který obchoduje se smenkami. Nemusí to být broker; kupuje smenky od obchodníku a prodává je bankérum a diskontním bankám nebo je drzí do splatnosti. Jeho zisk spocívá v rozdílu mezi diskontem, který dává, a diskontem, který dostává.
          HIH,
          Jarda
          what do "discount brokers" do? Do they provide brokerage of
          discounted goods/services, or do they provide brokerage cheaply?

          I have checked a couple of websites, and remain uncertain.
          Thanks for any advice you may have.

          Michal

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          Visit the Czechlist Homepage at: http://www.bohemica.com/czechtranslation

        • Helga Humlova
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 4, 2003
            Michale,

            zde je definice
            http://www.wachovia.com/wealth/page/0,,671_1058%5E3%5Elist%5ED_616,00.html

            and in German http://www.wienerboerse.at/glossary/1/4/210

            Both say that it is simply a broker charging you less

            Helga