TERMs - American football players

    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 3, 2003
      Hi there,

      Are there standard Czech translations of American football player positions:
      receiver, blocker? I've found a quarterback is "zadak" or "obrance".

      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 5, 2003
        --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Jirka Bolech" <jirka.bolech@s...> wrote:
        > Hi there,
        >
        > Are there standard Czech translations of American football player positions:
        > receiver, blocker? I've found a quarterback is "zadak" or "obrance".

        If there are any standard translations of terms like fullback, tailback, wide receiver, runningback and so forth, my impression after browsing around a few Czech American Football pages is that few in the game itself here appear to use them. The Brno Alligators have a useful run-down of the game with some handy terminology at http://www.alligators.cz/pravidla.htm but they seem to mostly prefer the original AmEng terms or abbreviations thereof. I seem to remember there is a new English-Czech sports dictionary in the shops so I'll try to wangle a sneak peek next time I'm in town. Otherwise, isn't this Tomas Skront's department? He might have a few ideas.