Re: [Czechlist] Re: TERM: polosed

  • JPKIRCHNER@aol.com
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 3, 2003
      In a message dated 11/3/03 7:35:00 PM, trans@... writes:

      > > I guess: would "half-sitting position" make it?
      >
      > Sounds reasonable to me.

      I think I usually hear "half-seated" position, or depending on the situation,
      "reclining position". I think I've even heard "partially reclining".

    • JPKIRCHNER@aol.com
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 3, 2003
        No! Wait! Ja jsem blby! "Reclining" doesn't mean half-seated. Pretend
        I never said that last one.

      • kzgafas
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 3, 2003
          Thanks to all who replied. Finally I chose Jamie's "half seated"
          instead of "half-sitting", since this passive form may be more
          appropriate for a poor patient suffering the torture applied by
          doctors upon him.

          K.
        • JPKIRCHNER@aol.com
          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 3, 2003
            In a message dated 11/3/03 7:54:16 PM, kzgafas@... writes:

            > Thanks to all who replied. Finally I chose Jamie's "half seated"
            > instead of "half-sitting",

            I think that was Helga's first, wasn't it?

            > since this passive form may be more
            > appropriate for a poor patient suffering the torture applied by
            > doctors upon him.

          • kzgafas
            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 3, 2003
              > > Thanks to all who replied. Finally I chose Jamie's "half seated"
              > > instead of "half-sitting",
              > >
              > I think that was Helga's first, wasn't it?

              Yes, my thanks to Helga.

              Kostas
            • Helga Humlova
              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 3, 2003
                Guys, you are kidding!!!! It was Kostaz, who first mentioned it!!!!! I just
                Google checked (my first bet was half-seated) and confirmed, that I think he
                is right!!!!!!

                H.

                Message 7 of 11 , Nov 3, 2003
                  > Guys, you are kidding!!!! It was Kostaz, who first mentioned
                  it!!!!! I just
                  > Google checked (my first bet was half-seated) and confirmed, that I
                  think he
                  > is right!!!!!!
                  >
                  > H.

                  Nooo. What I proposed first was "half-sitting". You came up
                  with "half-sitting and "half-seated", prefering the "half-sitting".
                  However, finally I chose "half-seated".

                  But anyway, I prefer to use Google rather for terminology (as I have
                  done about hundred times during translating this paper). This case
                  of "half-seated" vs. "half-sitting" seems to me an example
                  of "natural language", when Google may not provide a good answer.

                  Kostas