RE: [Czechlist] Re: TERM: polosed

  • Helga Humlova
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 3, 2003
      Urcite Kostazi, 330 Google hitu je dost prezvecivy. "half seated" provided
      just 36 hits.

      H.

      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 3, 2003
        In a message dated 11/3/03 7:35:00 PM, trans@... writes:

        > > I guess: would "half-sitting position" make it?
        >
        > Sounds reasonable to me.

        I think I usually hear "half-seated" position, or depending on the situation,
        "reclining position". I think I've even heard "partially reclining".

      • JPKIRCHNER@aol.com
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 3, 2003
          No! Wait! Ja jsem blby! "Reclining" doesn't mean half-seated. Pretend
          I never said that last one.

        • kzgafas
          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 3, 2003
            Thanks to all who replied. Finally I chose Jamie's "half seated"
            instead of "half-sitting", since this passive form may be more
            appropriate for a poor patient suffering the torture applied by
            doctors upon him.

            K.
          • JPKIRCHNER@aol.com
            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 3, 2003
              In a message dated 11/3/03 7:54:16 PM, kzgafas@... writes:

              > Thanks to all who replied. Finally I chose Jamie's "half seated"
              > instead of "half-sitting",

              I think that was Helga's first, wasn't it?

              > since this passive form may be more
              > appropriate for a poor patient suffering the torture applied by
              > doctors upon him.

            • kzgafas
              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 3, 2003
                > > Thanks to all who replied. Finally I chose Jamie's "half seated"
                > > instead of "half-sitting",
                > >
                > I think that was Helga's first, wasn't it?

                Yes, my thanks to Helga.

                Kostas
              • Helga Humlova
                Message 7 of 11 , Nov 3, 2003
                  Guys, you are kidding!!!! It was Kostaz, who first mentioned it!!!!! I just
                  Google checked (my first bet was half-seated) and confirmed, that I think he
                  is right!!!!!!

                  H.

                  Message 8 of 11 , Nov 3, 2003
                    > Guys, you are kidding!!!! It was Kostaz, who first mentioned
                    it!!!!! I just
                    > Google checked (my first bet was half-seated) and confirmed, that I
                    think he
                    > is right!!!!!!
                    >
                    > H.

                    Nooo. What I proposed first was "half-sitting". You came up
                    with "half-sitting and "half-seated", prefering the "half-sitting".
                    However, finally I chose "half-seated".

                    But anyway, I prefer to use Google rather for terminology (as I have
                    done about hundred times during translating this paper). This case
                    of "half-seated" vs. "half-sitting" seems to me an example
                    of "natural language", when Google may not provide a good answer.

                    Kostas