Re: TERM: polosed

  • kzgafas
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 3, 2003
      --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "kzgafas" <kzgafas@t...> wrote:
      > Any idea how to say "polosed" in English? Context: "pacient byl
      > ulozen do polosedu...".

      I guess: would "half-sitting position" make it?

      K.
    • Helga Humlova
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 3, 2003
        Urcite Kostazi, 330 Google hitu je dost prezvecivy. "half seated" provided
        just 36 hits.

        H.

        > Any idea how to say "polosed" in English? Context: "pacient byl
        > ulozen do polosedu...".

        I guess: would "half-sitting position" make it?

        K.

      • Michael Grant
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 3, 2003
          On Nov 3, 2003, at 6:23 PM, kzgafas wrote:

          > I guess: would "half-sitting position" make it?

          Sounds reasonable to me.
          Michael

          --
          Ukončete výstup a nástup, dveře se zavírají.
        • JPKIRCHNER@aol.com
          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 3, 2003
            In a message dated 11/3/03 7:35:00 PM, trans@... writes:

            > > I guess: would "half-sitting position" make it?
            >
            > Sounds reasonable to me.

            I think I usually hear "half-seated" position, or depending on the situation,
            "reclining position". I think I've even heard "partially reclining".

          • JPKIRCHNER@aol.com
            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 3, 2003
              No! Wait! Ja jsem blby! "Reclining" doesn't mean half-seated. Pretend
              I never said that last one.

            • kzgafas
              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 3, 2003
                Thanks to all who replied. Finally I chose Jamie's "half seated"
                instead of "half-sitting", since this passive form may be more
                appropriate for a poor patient suffering the torture applied by
                doctors upon him.

                K.
              • JPKIRCHNER@aol.com
                Message 7 of 11 , Nov 3, 2003
                  In a message dated 11/3/03 7:54:16 PM, kzgafas@... writes:

                  > Thanks to all who replied. Finally I chose Jamie's "half seated"
                  > instead of "half-sitting",

                  I think that was Helga's first, wasn't it?

                  > since this passive form may be more
                  > appropriate for a poor patient suffering the torture applied by
                  > doctors upon him.

                • kzgafas
                  Message 8 of 11 , Nov 3, 2003
                    > > Thanks to all who replied. Finally I chose Jamie's "half seated"
                    > > instead of "half-sitting",
                    > >
                    > I think that was Helga's first, wasn't it?

                    Yes, my thanks to Helga.

                    Kostas
                  • Helga Humlova
                    Message 9 of 11 , Nov 3, 2003
                      Guys, you are kidding!!!! It was Kostaz, who first mentioned it!!!!! I just
                      Google checked (my first bet was half-seated) and confirmed, that I think he
                      is right!!!!!!

                      H.

                      Message 10 of 11 , Nov 3, 2003
                        > Guys, you are kidding!!!! It was Kostaz, who first mentioned
                        it!!!!! I just
                        > Google checked (my first bet was half-seated) and confirmed, that I
                        think he
                        > is right!!!!!!
                        >
                        > H.

                        Nooo. What I proposed first was "half-sitting". You came up
                        with "half-sitting and "half-seated", prefering the "half-sitting".
                        However, finally I chose "half-seated".

                        But anyway, I prefer to use Google rather for terminology (as I have
                        done about hundred times during translating this paper). This case
                        of "half-seated" vs. "half-sitting" seems to me an example
                        of "natural language", when Google may not provide a good answer.

                        Kostas