TERM: polosed

  • kzgafas
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 3, 2003
      Any idea how to say "polosed" in English? Context: "pacient byl
      ulozen do polosedu...".

      Thank you,

      Kostas
    • kzgafas
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 3, 2003
        --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "kzgafas" <kzgafas@t...> wrote:
        > Any idea how to say "polosed" in English? Context: "pacient byl
        > ulozen do polosedu...".

        I guess: would "half-sitting position" make it?

        K.
      • Helga Humlova
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 3, 2003
          Urcite Kostazi, 330 Google hitu je dost prezvecivy. "half seated" provided
          just 36 hits.

          H.

          > Any idea how to say "polosed" in English? Context: "pacient byl
          > ulozen do polosedu...".

          I guess: would "half-sitting position" make it?

          K.

        • Michael Grant
          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 3, 2003
            On Nov 3, 2003, at 6:23 PM, kzgafas wrote:

            > I guess: would "half-sitting position" make it?

            Sounds reasonable to me.
            Michael

            --
            Ukončete výstup a nástup, dveře se zavírají.
          • JPKIRCHNER@aol.com
            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 3, 2003
              In a message dated 11/3/03 7:35:00 PM, trans@... writes:

              > > I guess: would "half-sitting position" make it?
              >
              > Sounds reasonable to me.

              I think I usually hear "half-seated" position, or depending on the situation,
              "reclining position". I think I've even heard "partially reclining".

            • JPKIRCHNER@aol.com
              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 3, 2003
                No! Wait! Ja jsem blby! "Reclining" doesn't mean half-seated. Pretend
                I never said that last one.

              • kzgafas
                Message 7 of 11 , Nov 3, 2003
                  Thanks to all who replied. Finally I chose Jamie's "half seated"
                  instead of "half-sitting", since this passive form may be more
                  appropriate for a poor patient suffering the torture applied by
                  doctors upon him.

                  K.
                • JPKIRCHNER@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 11 , Nov 3, 2003
                    In a message dated 11/3/03 7:54:16 PM, kzgafas@... writes:

                    > Thanks to all who replied. Finally I chose Jamie's "half seated"
                    > instead of "half-sitting",

                    I think that was Helga's first, wasn't it?

                    > since this passive form may be more
                    > appropriate for a poor patient suffering the torture applied by
                    > doctors upon him.

                  • kzgafas
                    Message 9 of 11 , Nov 3, 2003
                      > > Thanks to all who replied. Finally I chose Jamie's "half seated"
                      > > instead of "half-sitting",
                      > >
                      > I think that was Helga's first, wasn't it?

                      Yes, my thanks to Helga.

                      Kostas
                    • Helga Humlova
                      Message 10 of 11 , Nov 3, 2003
                        Guys, you are kidding!!!! It was Kostaz, who first mentioned it!!!!! I just
                        Google checked (my first bet was half-seated) and confirmed, that I think he
                        is right!!!!!!

                        H.

                        Message 11 of 11 , Nov 3, 2003
                          > Guys, you are kidding!!!! It was Kostaz, who first mentioned
                          it!!!!! I just
                          > Google checked (my first bet was half-seated) and confirmed, that I
                          think he
                          > is right!!!!!!
                          >
                          > H.

                          Nooo. What I proposed first was "half-sitting". You came up
                          with "half-sitting and "half-seated", prefering the "half-sitting".
                          However, finally I chose "half-seated".

                          But anyway, I prefer to use Google rather for terminology (as I have
                          done about hundred times during translating this paper). This case
                          of "half-seated" vs. "half-sitting" seems to me an example
                          of "natural language", when Google may not provide a good answer.

                          Kostas