RE: [Czechlist] Dictionaries

  • Milan Condak
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 30, 2003
      Hi Jamie,

      a) I do not know, if or how good is from Leda s.r.o.:
      http://www.leda.cz/jazykove_slovniky.aspx
      Anglicko-cesky a cesko-anglicky slovnik zpracovani dat, telekomunikaci a
      kancelarskych systemu
      Price 2.150 CZK

      b) Vedral
      http://pcslovniky.wz.cz/index.php?file=aj.dat
      A73-Elektroslovník (v príprave) slovník elektropojmu
      A90-Merení, regulace a automatizace 5000 vyznamovyvh dvojic podle SNTL
      A91-Slovník organizacní a výpocetní techniky 5300 vyznamovych dvojic
      slovník organizacní a výpocetní slovníky, podle slovníku SNTL

      HTH

      Milan www.condak.cz

      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 30, 2003
        IMHO any Czech-E electronic dictionary is just an electronic version of a
        Czech printed dictionary (and we all know how bad those are), or just a
        collection of entries stolen from other dictionaries...

        I never use a word I don't know or don't check, but I have Millenium 6.0.x
        now and, while it's certainly full of crap, it almost always has a word you
        can use, trouble is you have to find it in between the 60-odd entries it
        spits out at you, about 50% of which are irrelevant or plainly wrong...
        haven't seen a better one (without saying that this is good)...

        Matej

        > Since I'm not in the CR, I'm certainly a bit out of the loop. Has any
        > ***GOOD*** electronic Czech-English dictionary come out yet? I got the
        Millennium
        > dictionary a couple years ago, and it was so bad (more confusing than
        > helpful) that I cancelled the payment check.
        >
        > Is there anything better out now?

        > Visit the Czechlist Homepage at: http://www.bohemica.com/czechtranslation

      • Jiri Jancik
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 30, 2003
          I consider Hais - Hodek by LEDA and Lingea to be good electronic English
          /Czech dictionaries.

          Jiri Jancik

        • JPKIRCHNER@aol.com
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 30, 2003
            Thanks for your suggestions, everybody.

            In a message dated 10/30/03 4:01:29 AM, mklimes@... writes:

            > IMHO any Czech-E electronic dictionary is just an electronic version of a
            > Czech printed dictionary (and we all know how bad those are), or just a
            > collection of entries stolen from other dictionaries...

            The ones from the days of communism (i.e., Poldauf) are rather reliable, in
            my opinion, if you don't count a few minor entries that are "British English"
            now used only in Singapore (e.g., skolnik = "school servant"). I find the
            Velky americko-cesky slovnik pretty good, but all of them are rather incomplete.

            Back in the 1990s it was possible to get an electronic version of the Velky
            anglicko-cesky slovnik that ran under DOS and worked well in both directions.
            I wonder why that has disappeared. It was reputed to be excellent.

            > I never use a word I don't know or don't check, but I have Millenium 6.0.x
            > now and, while it's certainly full of crap, it almost always has a word you
            > can use, trouble is you have to find it in between the 60-odd entries it
            > spits out at you, about 50% of which are irrelevant or plainly wrong...
            > haven't seen a better one (without saying that this is good)...

            I find Millennium literally unusable, because the definitions it provides are
            so inaccurate that I still have to guess from context or go to a paper
            dictionary.

          • spektrum2002
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 30, 2003
              Podle mne je Millennium nejlepsi dostupna pomucka pro odborne
              (technicke, lekarske ...) preklady, ale nikdy je nepouzivam jako
              obecny C-A slovnik.
              Existuje Lingea Lexicon, ktery je samozrejme take jenom kompilaci
              stavajicich slovniku, ale neni nejhorsi a da se do jednoho hledani
              kombinovat slovnik obecny, technicky a hospodarsky.
              Nejbohatsi elektronicka verze Haise-Hodka umoznuje hledat obousmerne,
              samozrejme je to ovsem puvodne A-C slovnik. A je to hodne drahe (pred
              lety jsme to kupovali asi za 13 tisic Kc).
              Petr

              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 30, 2003
                Hais-Hodek chodi pod Windows.
                Najdete si http://www.leda.cz/cd_jazykove_slovniky.aspx.
                Zdravi Petr
                --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, JPKIRCHNER@a... wrote:
                > Back in the 1990s it was possible to get an electronic version of
                the Velky
                > anglicko-cesky slovnik that ran under DOS and worked well in both
                directions.
                > I wonder why that has disappeared. It was reputed to be excellent.

              • Dhrad
                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 31, 2003
                  The LEDA publishing house will start to sell the electronic version of the
                  Comprehensive Czech-English Dictionary (Velky cesko-anglicky slovnik) by
                  Josef Fronek in 2 or 3 weeks (as they informed me). Price 11.800 CZK.

                  Daniel