Re: [Czechlist] Re: Czechia vs. Chechnya

  • Mgr. Lenka Mandryszová
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 1, 2003
      -- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, Mgr. Lenka Mandryszová
      <iona@v...>
      wrote:
      > I would not be that pessimistic. The biggest problem I see is the
      common
      > confusion with Chechnya.

      -Hm, how common? I read somewhere that "cech" was used as a nickname
      -for Chechens in Russia so one would probably do better with "ne
      -streljajte, ja cechoslovackij!" there, but I suppose there can't be
      -so many people even in... um, outside Europe who'd think we had two
      -wars with Russia in a decade and the capital levelled.
      -Certainly the Slovakia/Slovenia confusion must be much more frequent,
      -though perhaps a little bit less annoying.

      Well, I meant linguistic confusion rather that the factual one (even though
      I would not be that "optimistic" here :-))
      (I believe most of the ordinary people outside Europe still have Russia
      somewhere in their minds when they hear about Czechoslovakia, Czech
      Republic, Czechia ...)
      Lenka