RE: [Czechlist] TERM: lisp - sislat?

  • Doris M. Cavey
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 28, 2003
      Don't we say 'babytalk'?

      -----Original Message-----
      From: JPKIRCHNER@... [mailto:JPKIRCHNER@...]
      Sent: Sat 9/27/2003 11:41 PM
      To: Czechlist@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [Czechlist] TERM: lisp - sislat?

      In a message dated 9/27/03 3:25:41 PM, bebeebeee@... writes:

      > And another thing - what do you call it when some people
      deliberately
      > change the way they pronounce things so as to come "closer" to the
      way small
      > children speak (in Czech, sislat)? All my dictionaries say LISP but
      I�ve always
      > thought lisping was a speach impediment rather than something you
      did because
      > you wanted to. Any ideas?

      You can lisp on purpose if you want to. I do that when I'm trying to
      teach
      Poles and Czechs to pronounce the interdental fricatives: "Muth�te
      vythlovovat thpravne!" Lisping is specifically pronouncing an
      interdental fricative
      (a so-called "th sound") instead of an alveolar fricative (/s/ or
      /z/). It's
      not just any sort of childish pronunciation. There is also a lateral
      lisp in
      which people pronounce a "sh" or "zh" sound -- but very juicy! --
      instead of
      /s/ or /z/.

      There's no word in English, that I know of, for deliberately feigning
      child's pronunciation. We merely say that the person is pronouncing
      like a small
      child.

      Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US &
      Canada.
      http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
      http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/EaOolB/TM