Re: [Czechlist] TERM: tails, smart casual etc.

  • Darian and Veronika
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 28, 2003
      I don't have a website, but we receive and send a zillion or so invitations a year, and these are the ones I've seen at various times and in various places (from most to least formal):

      - white tie or (much less frequently) white tie & tails - formal evening wear (tuxedo for men, tails as appropriate) with white tie, LBDs (long black dresses) for ladies; tails being something you run into only at specialized events (weddings, balls, etc.) where the host/organizer wants to achieve a particular effect
      - black tie or (much less frequently) black tie & tails - formal evening wear (tuxedo for men, tails as appropriate) with black tie, LBDs for ladies
      - formal - formal evening wear (tuxedo for men) with final black/white decision left to the invitees, most of whom go for black tie, since white tie is fairly uncommon; still LBDs for ladies, of course
      - cocktail - this one's less frequent, and it means you really should be wearing one of your better dark suits; ladies in their lBDs (little black dresses)
      - business - the suit you're wearing to work today, and the usual assumption is that it's a dark suit (though you'll be forgiven in the tropics if it isn't)
      - business casual - this could be the blue blazer, linen or wool slacks, and club tie you're wearing to work today
      - smart casual - same blazer and slacks, but tie not required
      - casual - you can leave your blazer and tie at the office and go in your slacks and open-collar shirt, because this is an outdoor barbecue.

      The confusing situation is when someone describes the event as "informal." I usually default to the blazer and tie, as European diplomats especially take this to mean business casual. You can always ditch the tie if you're wrong, but you're out of luck if you arrive without one and everyone else has 'em on. Unfortunately, North Americans often say "informal" and expect people to dress casually. That's why the Frenchman and the German arrive at your barbecue wearing a coat and tie.

      There are a few rare and peculiar ones too, but we only see these when an ambassador is presenting his credentials or attending an audience:

      - court - in real terms, unless you are in a position for which a ceremonial uniform is designated, this probably boils down to tie and tails
      - morning suit - those 1890s-looking coats like the one I wore at my wedding

      Things gets a bit complicated when military dress is on the invitation. The equivalents are:

      dress uniform - white tie
      mess uniform - black tie
      service uniform - business

      Darian