Re: [Czechlist] objednavka vs. zakazka

  • Darian and Veronika
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 26, 2003
      Absolutely! Billboards, warnings on cigarette packs, magazine articles, the instructions that come with your new toaster, and (above all) the words that really come out of people's mouths are all usually much more reliable sources than dictionaries when it comes to knowing how words are really used. That's why effective foreign language instruction these days relies on authentic materials rather than canned "dialogues" and "grammar supplements." And I agree 100% that it's important to back-check those dictionary references with something existing out there in real life, whether it's on the internet or otherwise. Dictionaries are, of course, important, provided they've actually got some life in them. When I'm contemplating the purchase of a general dictionary, I always check to ensure that the "f-word" is listed, and that there are no less than a dozen or so usage examples covering the broad spectrum of this word's application, as this is one of the surest signs of a truly useful lexical aid.

      Darian